Curing the rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wlng3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought some liverock yesterday but I want to cure it before putting them into the main aquarium. I read your article about curing the rocks and I have a few questions.
1. I can see some worms in the rocks, are you suppose to remove them?
2. How long before you can put them in the tank? When can you start seeing coral, if any?
3. Are you suppose to clean or scrub the rocks before putting then into the tank?

wlng3 said:
1. I can see some worms in the rocks, are you suppose to remove them?
2. How long before you can put them in the tank? When can you start seeing coral, if any?
3. Are you suppose to clean or scrub the rocks before putting then into the tank?

1. If you have an exsisting tank that you are adding the rock to, yes, you can remove them by doing a hypo salinity dip. This will cause them to "jump ship" and then you can pick and chose which you want and dont want.

2. It depends on your definition of coral. If you are referring to "micro" coral (for lack of a better phrase) such as sponges, small feather dusters, and the assorted "micro" world that will eventually develop.....I would say your looking at 6 months to really start noticing growth. It is really an exponential situaion. One turns into two...turns into four and so on.

3. No...just put them in a rubber maid tub, limited light (3-4hrs a day) with a heater and a power head. Monitor the parameters and do water changes accordingly to help any remaining "critters" survive the cycle.

That help? :wink:

No you don't and shouldn't remove the worms. They are beneficial bristle worms most likely...

wlng3 said:
Thanks but what is a hyposalinity dip?

Some people will do dips in fresh water to try and remove pests such as mantis shrimp. Fresh water dips can often times kill beneficial life forms as well so I would suggest dipping the rock in carbonated water mixed to the same SG and temp as your tank.

I would suggest dipping the rock in carbonated water mixed to the same SG and temp as your tank.

Liverocks.com is saying this may not be the best solution. :? I would suggest since your not putting it in your display tank right away I would just put it in the QT, and watch it close to see if you got any unwanted critters. Like maybe seeing eyes from the inside of a rock. Then you could take futher action to get rid of the unwelcome guest.

Shoot, there was a thread about a mantis trap on here somewhere. Looked like it worked pretty good. :mrgreen:

jamal-188 said:
wlng3 said:
Thanks but what is a hyposalinity dip?

Some people will do dips in fresh water to try and remove pests such as mantis shrimp. Fresh water dips can often times kill beneficial life forms as well so I would suggest dipping the rock in carbonated water mixed to the same SG and temp as your tank.

Hyposalinity does not mean fresh water.....it means low salinity. Fresh water means fresh water :wink:

now here is a question. i just got some rock and it has been in the q tank for about a week now and would like to add it to the main tank. should i wate till all levels are to 0 or just the ammonia? the ammonia has been at 0 for about 3 days now and the no3 and no3 not really at 0 but are working there way down. in maybe a few days they will be at 0 but i would like to have it in the main tank now. would it hurt any thing to put it in now?

I think you meant no2 and no3. You should wait until the no2 levels are down to zero or almost all the way down.

oh ya i guess i had a miss type ya i ment no2 and no3. but i only have to wate till the no2 are to 0? sweet they are falling fast and i cant wate to see all this liverock.com rock in the main tank after all the hermits and tubos clean it up. and see all the life on it after it sitting in the dark for a week.

Back
Top Bottom