Current question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

esaone

Aquarium Advice Regular
I hate to flood the board w/ questions but I guess that's what it's here for.
My 1 1/2" Percula Clown tends to keep in the back right hand corner of the tank.
All my water parameters are very good, he eats well and the fish was bought 3 weeks ago from a very reputable dealer.

I was wandering if I have too much current. I have a 30 Gallon tank. I have a Emperor 400. I have an Hagen 201 powerhead which is located at the opposite end of the tank from where the clown hangs out. The head is mounted in the middle of the left side flowing straight through the middle of the tank turned up to the highest setting.

Do you think I have too much flow?

No, definitely not too much flow. In fact, I would say you are a little on the low side.

Clowns can be goofy like that and just hang out in the corners.

Well look at it this way. These fish live in the ocean where the current is very very strong, what we have in our tanks doesn't come close to what they deal with in the wild.

I'm running at 3500gph in my display tank and that is less then I would like. You certainly don't have too much flow.

Well look at it this way. These fish live in the ocean where the current is very very strong, what we have in our tanks doesn't come close to what they deal with in the wild.

I'm running at 3500gph in my display tank and that is less then I would like. You certainly don't have too much flow.

Sweet Ziggy! I was just little worried cause he never goes near the current in the middle of the tank.

Most of the time Clowfish will hang out in a lower flow area. If you have some mushrooms or an anemone (bubble tip or something like that) they will hang out around those. My clowns are all over my mushrooms and don't pay any attention to my awesome Rose Bubble Tip anemone.

Same advice as the others... you're probably on the low side of flow versus where you should be.

I started out the opposite way - when I put my 1st fish in the tank (O. Clown) I had too much flow and it was just getting hammered wherever he went. I rearranged the flow and he seemed much happier. Of course, I've rearranged the flow twice since that time, but I've still managed to give him his little corner of moderate flow that he seems to like.

Clowns do seem to just hang out in the corner of tanks. Once he gets used to his new home, I'm betting he'll venture out and start exploring. It took mine several months to do that, and now a year and a half later he's cruising the length of the tank, playing around overhangs, and generally going everywhere. But he still goes back to his "home base" corner in between adventures!

I echo the others . I guess mine are the dorks of all dorks they swim to the power head head first and shoot themselfs across the tank , they do this all the time tho I do have some lower flow areas in the tank but for the most part they "like " to hit the current :) I am going to be adding a diffrent ph to my tank to get it moving a bit more here either today or tomorrow :)

Thanks folks.
I actually saw him swimming back and forth last night for the first time.

Back
Top Bottom