Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lane1223

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so my tank has been cycling for 5 days now. The ammonia peaked two days ago and the are the test results now.
Ammonia: .50
Nitrite: couldn't tell but between 1 and 2
Nitrate: 40
pH: 8.2
Is this the norm?

Attachments

• image-2333670983.jpg
    image-2333670983.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 98
Yep. Your ammonia will spike, your nitrite will spike, then your nitrates will spike. Then you do some PWC's and you're done.

Is there an ammonia source in there now to keep the bacteria colony alive?

No....there was some dead shrimp... Should they still be in there?

You need an ammonia source. Shrimp. Food flakes. Or the best option IMO is ammonia drops bc they can be precisely controlled. The bacteria needs an ammonia source to start the process as well as stay alive.

Yes, keep an ammonia source in there to keep feeding your bacteria. :) Looks like you're doing well, don't want to stall!

scottayy said:
Yes, keep an ammonia source in there to keep feeding your bacteria. :) Looks like you're doing well, don't want to stall!

Haha yeah! Deff not! So even though I took out the shrimp it's all good to put it back in?

When I did it , I put it in there and let it completely dissolve. It took about a week. Once it was dissolved I started adding inverts and it all went smoothly

mytinkers13 said:
When I did it , I put it in there and let it completely dissolve. It took about a week. Once it was dissolved I started adding inverts and it all went smoothly

Ok great! So until it dissolves, will the ammonia stay super high?

For awhile yes it will be about 4 ppm then nitrites will climb and the ammo will start to drop

Keep an ammonia source in there until your ammonia and nitrates read zero. If you can get 1ppm ammonia converted to nitrates in under 24 hours then you are cycled!

scottayy said:
Keep an ammonia source in there until your ammonia and nitrates read zero. If you can get 1ppm ammonia converted to nitrates in under 24 hours then you are cycled!

Ok. What are the water parameters need to have some sort of cuc?

Back
Top Bottom