Cycle Almost Complete?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rtoycrow

Aquarium Advice Regular
Alright I did a PWC on my 125 Saturday morning. Took readings on my water yesterday and this is what I came up with
ammonia- .25
no2- 0- didn't even read
no3- high 25 low 5

Is my cycle almost complete? and when would it be safe to add livestock?

It seems odd that you're still showing ammonia. Did you just recently add something that would act as a source such as another piece of rock, fish food, etc?

Usually, the nasties will disappear in the reverse order that they appeared. When cycling, you first get ammonia, followed by nitrites, then by nitrates. At the end of the cycle, you find the ammonia disappears first, then the nitrites, and you're left with a bunch of nitrates.

Seeing how long you've been cycling by your previous posts, and the fact that your nitrites have disappeared, I'd say you're getting close to being done. But I just wouldn't expect that ammonia to be there.

It's safe when both ammonia AND nitrites are at zero.

I agree, if you don't have nitrItes but ammonia and nitrAtes I would check your source water. Better yet, take a sample to your LFS and have them confirm your readings, part of your kit might be bad.

Back
Top Bottom