Cycle - Ammonia down, Nitrites sky high.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ericsze

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I started cycling my 29 gallon tank about 3 and a half weeks ago. After establishing a 4" DSB, I threw in a raw shrimp which stunk up the place after 2 weeks. It was a mushy mess, so I just took it out. At that point, ammonia was up at 3.0 mg/l and nitrites were off the charts. At the time, my pH was 7.7 and KH looked good too.

A week later, ammonia has dropped down to almost zero (which is good), but the nitrites still remain at very high levels. How much longer should I expect to wait to see the nitrites fall? I would imagine I should wait until both are at zero before I add cured live rock. Otherwise the organisms on the live rock would be killed?

it can take as long two months for the tank to complete its cycle. you just have to be patient with it. if the ammonia has fallen that much the nitrate should follow soon though, but you just never know. as for the LR, many people cycle their tanks with it. even it is cured it can still have some dieoff in your tank, especially if you buy it online or from a store thats not so local. its really up to you though, you. HTH

My guess would be that within a day or two, your nitrites should fall. It seems once the ammonia bottoms out, then the nitrites soon follow, then the nitrates. Sounds like yourr close!!!

:hat:

Same results here, been cycling about a month now, nitrites/nitrates to the MAX, ammonia low, when my nitrites spiked, my damsels bit the dust, hopefully it will level out soon...

Back
Top Bottom