Cycle fish death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WHBsurf631

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So this will be my third and hopefully most succesful tank ive had and i started the tank about 2 weeks ago and for the first week and a half I used Aquavitro's seed and followed all of the directions for the one week usage. After the week and a half i became anxious to add fish so i added one small clown and 5 very small BG chromis and 2 of the smallest ones that were about half an inch in size crawled behind the rocks and have yet to show for two days so im just gunna go out on a lim and say they are dead. I have a 55 gallon long tank with a 30 gallon sump. Should i worry the two deaths will cause a huge ammonia spike because i have yet to see my ammonia spike in the tank during my cycle. No clean up crew yet also. Havent done a water change yet because i have about 75 pds of dry rock and 10 pounds of live rock to seed and also live sand. How should i take precaution?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1453583392.767069.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1453583427.063627.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1453583473.302006.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1453583499.430890.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Keep testing for your levels. That is a ton of fish to add all at once. I don't even have that many in my 55 reed tank. It is likely that you overwhelmed the beneficial bacteria that these quick cycle products claim to add.
If you see ammonia or nitrite levels rise, do a water change to bring them down as you build up a large enough bacteria base to support the livestock in the system without being poisoned.

So this will be my third and hopefully most succesful tank ive had and i started the tank about 2 weeks ago and for the first week and a half I used Aquavitro's seed and followed all of the directions for the one week usage. After the week and a half i became anxious to add fish so i added one small clown and 5 very small BG chromis and 2 of the smallest ones that were about half an inch in size crawled behind the rocks and have yet to show for two days so im just gunna go out on a lim and say they are dead. I have a 55 gallon long tank with a 30 gallon sump. Should i worry the two deaths will cause a huge ammonia spike because i have yet to see my ammonia spike in the tank during my cycle. No clean up crew yet also. Havent done a water change yet because i have about 75 pds of dry rock and 10 pounds of live rock to seed and also live sand. How should i take precaution?View attachment 284112View attachment 284113View attachment 284114View attachment 284115

first thing I see is two weeks your cycle most likely wasn't finished cycling
than you added 8 fish all at once which overloaded your tank as you have very little bb (beneficial bacteria) you most likely seen a big spike in ammonia , a tank can take from 4/8 weeks to cycle ,
when adding new stock to your tank it should be done slowly over time giving your bb in tank to build, adding to much at once can cause your tank back into a mini cycle ,
with salt water anxious isn't what you want to be as rushing causes problems , salt water isn't a cheap hobby to keep loosing fish it gets expensive fast .

here are two short articles that will help you understand a little more about the cycling process and how important it is .(y)

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Cycle your salt tank - Aquarium Advice

Way to early for fish! My tank is in its 3-4 week and I've only added one big snail and about 4 small crabs!

I just started another reef tank. It's been cycling for a month with no fish. Now I can gradually introduce a few crabs and snail. No fish for at least another 3 weeks. You definitely added too much fish too soon. Start slowly with one fish at a time. You can't rush a saltwater tank

Back
Top Bottom