Cycle length

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmartin722

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've started cycling my new 72 gallon bow front about a week ago. I used rock and sand that was already well established. Just wondering how long and how high of an ammonia spike I should expect from a fish in cycle and roughly how long should I expect it to last. The ammonia levels have risen to 2 ppm over the last few days but have dropped to zero today. Nitrites are zero and nitrates are 10ppm. Any help would be appreciated.

I did the same. The answers I have been getting are... You shouldnt have a big cycle but should still wait a couple weeks to make sure.

Hope this helps. I'm no expert but if your ammonia is at 0 and you have nitrates then sounds like your doing something right.

When I started a 30 gal with well established LR and 2 damsels (it was either my tank or the porcelain bowl as the previous owner said). Amm only hit about .5 for a few days then dropped to 0 after a couple more. Within a week or so it was all done.
But you will have to be gentle on the tank. Make future additions SLOWLY. I'd give it a couple weeks too first.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to give it atleast another week to make sure before I add anything.

Back
Top Bottom