Cycle over... New to testing myself...Now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Florida8

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, I'm a few weeks into the new tank... 29g with 30+ pounds LR and LS , my tests are now staying at:

Ammonia 0
ph 8
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Salinity 1.023
Temp 78-79

Is this all good?

What else do I need to test for? I used to take my water and have it tested, never tested myself in the past so this is new for me... I also cycled with a load of damsels way back when, so adding fish after a cycle is also new to me. I did buy 10 (all the had) blue legged hermits today.

The water looks great but I have some brown diatom and a little hair alg. on some of my rocks... whats the best cure for this and how much of water changes should I Continue with until this is cleared up?

Do I just add 1 small fish at a time? How about something to get my sand bed turned over 1st? Good idea?

Test results look good to me. :)

Ebay has some awesome deals on snails. If you do a search for "live snails" you'll get multiple auctions for Nassuris/illyanassa(sp?) snails. Those would be best for turning your sand bed. They spent practically all day in the sand, and will all come out when you feed at night.

About the diatoms, just be patient, and the they will go away. Now that you are nearing the end of your cycle, it will likely be soon. About the fish, depends on what kind you wish to add.

HTH

OK, with the rolling eyes face you are making me feel ashamed for something I did like, ummmmm.... 9 years or so ago! (that's what I meant with Way back when ) LOL!!!

If it makes you feel better, they lived happy long pampered lives in my reef tank :) LOL

This time... cycling with out fish was hard.... lots of LR and LS and all that.. was BORING! ;) I added a small clean up crew yesterday or the day before... So Yeah! Got some movement other than water :)

Back
Top Bottom