cycle shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BEANS

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so my raw shrimp has been in my tank for about a week now. for the last two days it has had a jelly looking clear bubble around it. Is this bacteria forming? I know this process takes as long as a month but Im just curious to what this is. I would take a picture but my only source is with my phone and it doesn't take great pics anyhow. Just hoping someone knows what I am talking about and that it is supposed to happen. thanks!

Oh yeah also today when I was doing my PWC the current from the new SW pushed some of the jelly looking stuff that formed around my shrimp off. IS that ok?

sorry if these are dumb questions but im new! =p

I took a pic anyhow even though it isn't the best quality. the clear jelly looking thing formed around the shrimp but when I did a water change I knocked it off.

ps it is not the shell of the shrimp.

Attachments

• s.jpg
    s.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 94
You used a RAW and UNCOOKED shrimp right?? That looks like a cooked shrimp to me.
lol...people argued with me for days claiming I must have bought cooked shrimp. I guess it must have only taken 12 or so hours at 85 degree water temp. to turn the shrimp pink.
Bean,
I didn't ever see a clear bubble, my shrimp just got fuzzy and started breaking apart.

Yeah I bought raw bait shrimp actually. It still had the head legs etc, used for catfishing or w/e, but definately raw. Hmm guess Ill remove the bubble around it. and keep an eye on it

here is a picture of the shrimp I used and the box it came in

Attachments

• PIC-0332.jpg
    PIC-0332.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 85
  • PIC-0331.jpg
    PIC-0331.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 132
my raw shrimp turned pink and looks like its cooked too, it too mine around 12 hours

orayray how long did it tank before your shrimp began to break down and fuzz up? I thought that the bubble forming was part of the process but I guess not. I removed the bubble tonight and gonna watch it to hopefully see it breaking down soon. It looks like the ends are starting to but well see I guess.

Beans leave the shrimp alone it is doing it's job. Point a PH in it's direction and that will help move the bacteria around.
That bubble is fine, it's just the bacteria at work.

It is the decay. The bacteria you won't be able to see. It will begin converting the ammonia to nitrItes and then to nitrAtes. I leave my rotting shrimp alone and when the cycle is done my small clean up crew has a nice snack.

k thanks I wont mess with it anymore, was just curious.

:D

I agree with Scott. It`s just decaying giving off ammonia that will be feeding your nitrifying bacteria. Everything looks as it should.

yeah my shrimp has been in the tank two days and it looks like this
img_989645_0_9be8feb9b25271886b470f2537c19073.jpg

That is what mine looked like but when I did a water change I accidently knocked the squishy jelly stuff off :mad:

I just scooped it up with my net and threw it out, it looks like more is forming around it though

I checked my ammonia readings yesterday, so the shrimp was in my tank 3 1/2 days or so and they were .50 and my ph was 8.4 I didnt check nitrites or trates just those two things.

edit: is that a good start?

Skip testing the pH, test the ammonia, nitrItes and nitrAtes, but yes, it is off to a good start.

Just going to add on to this thread instead of doing a new one. How often should I be doing partial water changes while my tank cycles? I have been doing them about every 3-4 days.

Also I plan on getting a protein skimmer but I don't have one yet. Do I really need one for the cycling process or just when I start adding fish? I hear they can be noisy, if I buy one to fit my 33G L tank is it going to be that noisy?

Back
Top Bottom