Cycled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MCluett

Aquarium Advice Freak
my Tank is pretty much fully cycled now, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, pH 8.4. my nitrate was still giving a reading but it was the lowest on the chart and i did a PWC last night which should hopefully take care of that. now this brings me to my question. now that i am cycled i know i should wait another week before livestock just to continue checking my parameters but should i start running my light and if so for how long each day?

also i went to my LFS to find some sand to switch my substrate and all i could find was very fine CC should i hold off for the sand since i would like to get some sifters at one point?

If you want sifters, definitely hold off. If you are going to wait a week, I would add a pinch of food to your tank (very small) to continue feeding the beneficial bacteria (you probably don't have too, but just in case).
What do you plan on adding?

yeah i would like to get a lawnmower blenny or maybe a goby and pistol shrimp combination. but to start off i am going to get 2 false percs. would i be good to order them in now?

and for the lights how long should i run them each day?

If you go with the lawmower blenny, make sure you see him eat frozen food, as they will quickly starve if there is not enough algae to eat.
I run my lights from 2PM to 10PM. You can run them 8-10 hours. I try to keep mine a natural as possible.

ok perfect i will set that up tonight when i get home, i wasnt sure so i just put it on a 5 hour cycle at first. yeah i heard that i will definatly make sure the blenny eats frozen food, he is still just an idea right now but they sem to have lots of personality

so would i be good to order in my false perc, since it will take a week to get them? also i do have a 5gal QT set up and running. or should i purchase some crabs, shrimp, and snails and begin some clean up first?

How long have you been cycling? What method? I'd rather expect nitrates to be high at the end of the cycle. Only water changes, plants, and deep sand beds bring down nitrates.

i have been cycling for 5 weeks and my ammonia, and nitrites are at 0, while my pH is at 8.4. and i have 50 pounds of LR that i used to cycle the tank with.

I'd consider the 20 lbs from a friend's tank to be cured, and the LFS may have been selling cured or uncured. Have you been feeding the critters? That would be sure to test your cycle.

Back
Top Bottom