cycling 40 gallon test results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djalex23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys. I've been cycling my tank for some weeks now and wanted to post my test results from this morning. I have been getting water testing at LFS but got my API kit yesterday. Also my salinity is at 1.026 is that too high.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111001_101117.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111001_101117.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 84
Looking good. Might drop the salinity just a tad in my opinion. Did you cycle using the shrimp method or pure amonia? If you have some pure amonia (make sure it is pure) dose just a bit. See if the amonia rises then falls, nitrite rises than falls and nitrate rises. If that happens I would say you have cycled and can slowly add fish. I wouldn't add more than two and give it a week or so. Don't add anymore until you see that the am and nitrite stay at 0. You want the BB to have a chance to catch up to the new bioload before you add more. Good luck.

Thanks. What is the best way to Lowe salinity. Also what is the best way to raise Ph a little.

They way I lower salinity (according to my LFS) is to take out 5 gallons of saltwater and just add back 5 gallons of rodi water.

You can use a ph buffer to raise your ph.

I would start with about a gallon of fresh. You really only need the salinity to come down a bit. For a 40 gal I would think a gallon would bring it down a point or two. When did you take the reading? PH lowers at night and starts to raise when the lights come on. What I see in the picture looks to be just about right. Especially if you took the sample early in the day. I prefer not to dose anything if I can help it. Let the tank find its own happy medium unles it gets way out of line.

I wouldn't lower salinity. Natural sea water is about 1.026 SG. I keep my tanks at 1.025- 1.026. Also, don't increase your pH. It's good where it is at.

slitherbomb said:
I wouldn't lower salinity. Natural sea water is about 1.026 SG. I keep my tanks at 1.025- 1.026. Also, don't increase your pH. It's good where it is at.

+1,don't lower your sal,what is your alk.?

Thanks everyone for the input. I chckes the readings in the morning. Also when dosing with pure ammonia how much should I put in and how long should I wait to test the water again.

Just a few drops should do it. Give it 30 minutes to let it mix throughout the tank and then check it.

OK will do thanks. Its so hard looking at this empty tank LOL.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111002_095348.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111002_095348.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 73
Back
Top Bottom