Cycling advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gremlin86

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey,
I'm currently setting up a marine 4ft aquarium. I added my RO water, Salt and Sand on around 6th Dec. I then added a large cup full of healthy live sand from my lps once the tank had cleared and was up to temperature. I have been testing my water since and have got the following readings:

09/12 - Nitrate 15 - Nitrite 0 - Ammonia 0.25 - PH 8.
12/12 - Nitrite 0 - Ammonia 0.5.
14/12 - Nitrate 30 - Nitrite 0 - Ammonia 0.25.
15/12 - Nitrate 10 - Nitrite 0 - Ammonia 0.5.
16/12 - Nitrate 20 - Nitrite 0 - Ammonia 0.5.
17/12 - Nitrate 15 - Nitrite 0 - Ammonia 0.5.
18/12 - Nitrate 15 - Nitrite 0 - Ammonia 0.25.
19/12 - Nitrate 30 - Nitrite 0.25 - Ammonia 0.15.

Does this look normal? Should I still be waiting for a Nitrite spike?

I have been ghost feeding the tank every other day with flake fish food and have some moss/fluffy white stuff growing on my sand at the back of the tank. I also have several little green/brown/sandy coloured hair-like bits growing all over the sand.

Also last night (I think) my heaters failed and I have came home today after a 13 hour shift to find my tank quiet cold due to neither heater working presumably for the last 13-20 hours! Would this have effected anything? I am not gunna be able to heat the water till mid-day tomorrow after i get into town.

Any advice, reasurance etc would be really good

James

Ghost feeding may not cause enough of an ammonia spike to get a good cycle. You'll want ammonia at least up to 4ppm, that way you'll get lots of BB and won't have a mini cycle when you add an actual fish. The cold water might have let some of your BB die off.
When you go to town for a new heater, I would get either some liquid ammonia (when you shake the bottle you want NO bubbles to form or its not the right kind of ammonia), or pick up a couple of raw shrimp or some other type of raw seafood and toss that in the tank and let it rot.
Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom