Cycling and Stocking Order

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arget

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've just setup my first saltwater tank. I've used RODI water and mixed the salt. Do I need anything to start cycling the tank? After it's cycled I plan on stocking it with True Percula, a Watchman Goby, and an Orchid Dotty back. Aside from the True Percula being the first fish in the tank, what order should I stock them in? It will also be a reef tank, much later.

You’ll need an ammonia source and test kits if you don’t have them already. I’d do the clown or goby first and the dotty back last.

I was planning to start with the clownfish, and end with dottyback. I set the tank up last night, so it hasn't ad any time to do anything yet.

Gotcha, so now it’ll need an ammonia source to start your cycle. It’ll take about a month for the tank to cycle and you’ll need to test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate as it goes. Then you can add your first fish.

Skip throwing in food. You're just further polluting the water with phosphates. Try either pure ammonia or a cocktail shrimp in some panty hose (which is my preferred). Then you can set it and forget it while you wait for nature to take its course...sometimes eating the rest of a shrimp ring depending on what is available in your area.

Back
Top Bottom