cycling my tank again... need info.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

s10469

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I have a 45 gal. hex. with 45lbs. of LR, and 40lbs. of LS. I got a canister filter, a skimmer, and a powerhead. Also 150 watts 50/50 PCs. I set this up in mid Dec. and it was beautiful cycle. The rock stayed clean(after i cleaned it with a soft tooth brush) and the sand stayed white. During the last week it got alittle brown but cleared right up in a few days. I had some crabs(hermits), and a couple fish. After about 1 month i went to the lfs and got some water for a pwc. They gave me a used jug and filled it up, and when i put it into the tank it turned the water white within 3 days. Super white. I lost everything on the fourth day. I took out all the water, down to the sand, and filled it up with tap water and salt just like i did the first time. I seen some dead crab laying on the bottom so i figured that would be my ammonia source. Could i be wrong?, becouse this time i brown all over my tank in about a week. After 2 weeks, a type of hard to get off green algae on my glass. This did not happen the last time. I was thinking maybe dead things put off more than just ammonia. Am i thinking right or not? That was the only thing different about this cycle except now i have a skimmer. I test my water,salt-1.024, 5 on ammonia, 0 nitrites, 5 to 10 ppm on nitrates, Ph is around 8.2, and temp is 78deg. I have done a pwc twice since set up, and i leave the lights on 8 hrs. Do i have a problem with my tank, or just wait it out? Also i use rodi for my pwc

The brown is probably jsut daitoms that will burn themselves out. The hard green on the glass is probably coraline algae. You need to scrape that off the glass....everyday... Get a magenet scraper designed for your type of tank (glass or acrylic).

It sounds like the cycle is coming along. Continue using the RODI for PWCs, but there's no need to do a PWC till the cycle completes. Soon the ammonia should drop and the nitrites should shoot up. Then the nitrites will fall and the nitrates will go up. When ammonia and nitrites test zero and stay there for a few days to a week it's time to do a large (50%) water change.

Back
Top Bottom