Cycling new reef aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

feeshna

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Yesterday I set up my first saltwater tank. I have about 10lbs of LR from a friend's system, 20lbs of dry coral rock, 3 mangrove propagules (also from a friends tank). About how long until my cycle will be far enough along to start adding some hardy fish?(damsels, salt mollies, etc) I heard from a friend that having LR from an established system will boost the cycle ahead and whatnot, but is this true? Thanks for reading.

Proceed as a normal cycle. 10:30 (live rock to dry) wont cycle your tank automaticly, also dry rock will have a die off. Just dose pure ammonia like normal until youve got 0,05-10.

Ok, thanks. The cycle has been a fairly confusing topic because every where I look people say different things. One friend of mine had their cycle take a full month, while another had it take a week and a half. Thanks for the suggestion though I will try it.

Also what size tank is this? and as a side not mollies dont tend to do well in marine systems, IMO there are much nicer fish in the hobby.

It is a 40 gallon. I know I need more LR but for now that's what I have.

Ok, thanks. The cycle has been a fairly confusing topic because every where I look people say different things. One friend of mine had their cycle take a full month, while another had it take a week and a half. Thanks for the suggestion though I will try it.

Try adding seeded media from your friends tank if they will let you, i added seed media from my 37 to my 20 and dosed 4ppm daily. 2 weeks and i was reading 0 all around only 3 hours after dosing. For a 40g 6ml would equal out to 4ppm of ammonia.

Ok thanks for the advice. I think after a while I'll get the hang of the tank but I'm still getting there. Hopefully this tank will do alright.

Back
Top Bottom