Cycling Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Al.Ilgaz said:
I'm assuming you started with the damsels, if that's the case, did you do anything special to acclimate the next set of fish after the cycling?

Yes I started with the damsels first. But there were only a couple of damsels before I added my blue regal tang. There are some damsels you want to stay away from, one being the Neon Damsel. I basically added a couple damsels then another type of fish. Then a couple damsels, then another type of fish. My blue regal tang seems to be the peace keeper in my tang so at this time there isn't much of a territorial issue.

willbratz said:
Yes I started with the damsels first. But there were only a couple of damsels before I added my blue regal tang. There are some damsels you want to stay away from, one being the Neon Damsel. I basically added a couple damsels then another type of fish. Then a couple damsels, then another type of fish. My blue regal tang seems to be the peace keeper in my tang so at this time there isn't much of a territorial issue.

This is good to hear. Let's hope mine will be as content. Thanks.

So, it's been almost six weeks. Still no ammonia, no nitrate or nitrite... I did a water change and cleaned the filter last weeks or the first time. My four damsels seem happy. Another thing that's out of the ordinary is that the live sand is turning brown in certain areas. What am I missing here?

Al.Ilgaz said:
So, it's been almost six weeks. Still no ammonia, no nitrate or nitrite... I did a water change and cleaned the filter last weeks or the first time. My four damsels seem happy. Another thing that's out of the ordinary is that the live sand is turning brown in certain areas. What am I missing here?

What are your nitrates and phosphates reading and what kind of lighting are you using? That brown algae is is diatom algae and usually occurs when you are completing or have just completed your cycle. Let me see if I can get you a link to read! :)

Are you testing your water or is it a LFS? Seems strange to have zeros across the board with fish in there. At the very least there should be some nitrates.

nikki_kaiser said:
What are your nitrates and phosphates reading and what kind of lighting are you using? That brown algae is is diatom algae and usually occurs when you are completing or have just completed your cycle. Let me see if I can get you a link to read! :)

Nitrates were I would say slightly more than zero way less than 5.0 ppm. I'm using the API test and I'm not even sure if it was darker than the yellow (0 ppm) on the chart. My ph is 8.2. I can't imagine this being this easy, I only did one water change so far because I didn't see any ammonia spike nor detected anything harmful. Damsels are all active, eating twice a day without any problems I see no stress what so ever. I'm going to read the article now. Thank you for the response.

Al.Ilgaz said:
Nitrates were I would say slightly more than zero way less than 5.0 ppm. I'm using the API test and I'm not even sure if it was darker than the yellow (0 ppm) on the chart. My ph is 8.2. I can't imagine this being this easy, I only did one water change so far because I didn't see any ammonia spike nor detected anything harmful. Damsels are all active, eating twice a day without any problems I see no stress what so ever. I'm going to read the article now. Thank you for the response.

You are welcome! Somewhere along the line you had to of cycled if you are at zero at both and a little nitrates present. Did you use filter media from a friend with the bacteria on it and cured live rock? I didn't have a cycle when I switched tanks but used my same stuff. Then when I emptied my other 55, I used a few pieces if live rock, some sand from my tank, and put the filter on that I used in QT and had nothing. I've always started from scratch in the past though.

TheTodd said:
Are you testing your water or is it a LFS? Seems strange to have zeros across the board with fish in there. At the very least there should be some nitrates.

I'm testing the water myself, I'm following instructions every time even though I know what to do. I'm testing it twice in a row. I'm just completely stumped. I'm going to have my LFS test it I just can't for another week because of this **** hurricane sandy. I don't even know if I should do another water change.

nikki_kaiser said:
You are welcome! Somewhere along the line you had to of cycled if you are at zero at both and a little nitrates present. Did you use filter media from a friend with the bacteria on it and cured live rock? I didn't have a cycle when I switched tanks but used my same stuff. Then when I emptied my other 55, I used a few pieces if live rock, some sand from my tank, and put the filter on that I used in QT and had nothing. I've always started from scratch in the past though.

I don't even have live rock, I had brand new media and filter, I just used that wet live sand. I wonder if I can start adding more fish. I guess I'll decide that when I get the water tested at the LFS.

Al.Ilgaz said:
I don't even have live rock, I had brand new media and filter, I just used that wet live sand. I wonder if I can start adding more fish. I guess I'll decide that when I get the water tested at the LFS.

I would wait a little bit. How attached are you to the damsels??? The reason I ask is that they are fairly aggressive and territorial. When you add a new fish, they may beat it up pretty good. Honestly, a lot of people don't care for them because of that but their color is very pretty! Once you know for sure that your tank is cycled, if you decide to get rid of them, I would make a list of what you want in the tank and add the most aggressive fish last. That way your easy going fish have time to chill out and get comfy and are less likely to get picked on. Just an opinion! :)

nikki_kaiser said:
I would wait a little bit. How attached are you to the damsels??? The reason I ask is that they are fairly aggressive and territorial. When you add a new fish, they may beat it up pretty good. Honestly, a lot of people don't care for them because of that but their color is very pretty! Once you know for sure that your tank is cycled, if you decide to get rid of them, I would make a list of what you want in the tank and add the most aggressive fish last. That way your easy going fish have time to chill out and get comfy and are less likely to get picked on. Just an opinion! :)

I'm attached but I want other fish. My son has been waiting for nemo for quite a while now. I talked him out of dory because I only have a 56 gallon tank. I'm looking for the fox face, angels and possibly a box fish but that's later on. When you say "get rid of them", how does one get rid of fish? I can't see myself just killing the fish to add others. Does the LFS take fish back for free?

Box fish can release a chemical when stressed or if they die that can crash the whole tank and kill everything. They get HUGE too so I really don't suggest getting one. More than one dwarf angel together will fight and large angels are too big for your tank. I think your LFS would take the damsel back or try giving it away to someone.

Al.Ilgaz said:
I'm attached but I want other fish. My son has been waiting for nemo for quite a while now. I talked him out of dory because I only have a 56 gallon tank. I'm looking for the fox face, angels and possibly a box fish but that's later on. When you say "get rid of them", how does one get rid of fish? I can't see myself just killing the fish to add others. Does the LFS take fish back for free?

Your LFS will take them back usually. Good thinking on the tang! They need a lot of swimming room and are harder to keep! Angels...only one and they honestly need a decently established tank. They tend to be on the aggressive side so add towards the end. If you get a box fish, they eat shrimp and crabs so don't put any in there unless you want to feed it an expensive meal. Ask around and get advice on what others think as far as damsels and what their experience has been. I've always had issues with them being mean.

obscurereef said:
Box fish can release a chemical when stressed or if they die that can crash the whole tank and kill everything. They get HUGE too so I really don't suggest getting one. More than one dwarf angel together will fight and large angels are too big for your tank. I think your LFS would take the damsel back or try giving it away to someone.

What species generally are ideal for a 56 gallon tank? I want to have at least 6 or 7 fish.

Al.Ilgaz said:
What species generally are ideal for a 56 gallon tank? I want to have at least 6 or 7 fish.

There are TONS of options!! It's really important to make sure they can live peacefully together. Go to www.liveaquaria.com and check out the fish there. Look for the ones that don't say "aggressive". It will give you a quick run down of the fish, what they eat, how big they get, and minimum tank size. Clowns, Gobies, dwarf angels, wrasse, hawkfish, there are lots of options!

By the way, you may want to consider getting some base rock and seeding it with live rock if you want a decent stock. The cured live rock will help spread the bacteria you need to the base rock as well as provide a good bioload. If your pump were to go out, and that's your main source for bacteria you could be in trouble. For example: I have 55+ lbs of live rock in my 55 gallon. I had a pump on there that went out after a storm (stupid thing wouldn't come back on) however I simply bought a new one because most of my bacteria was on/within my live rock. The live rock also provides an environment similar to the real thing and hiding places for the fish if they get stressed. You can order base rock online or go to an LFS and they usually have it available by the pound. It's a lot cheaper than live rock as well!

nikki_kaiser said:
By the way, you may want to consider getting some base rock and seeding it with live rock if you want a decent stock. The cured live rock will help spread the bacteria you need to the base rock as well as provide a good bioload. If your pump were to go out, and that's your main source for bacteria you could be in trouble. For example: I have 55+ lbs of live rock in my 55 gallon. I had a pump on there that went out after a storm (stupid thing wouldn't come back on) however I simply bought a new one because most of my bacteria was on/within my live rock. The live rock also provides an environment similar to the real thing and hiding places for the fish if they get stressed. You can order base rock online or go to an LFS and they usually have it available by the pound. It's a lot cheaper than live rock as well!

I will look into that, thank you for all of your advice and incredibly quick responses. I really appreciate it. I'll bother you again in the future, I'm sure of it. Thank you once again.

Al.Ilgaz said:
I will look into that, thank you for all of your advice and incredibly quick responses. I really appreciate it. I'll bother you again in the future, I'm sure of it. Thank you once again.

:) This hobby is addictive once you are established and get going! You will learn new things with every fish you buy! I've been doing it for years and I learn new things on here all the time. It's a lot of fun!

Took the water to the LFS to get it tested, everything checked out! And I got a long nose butterfly! I'll post pictures tomorrow. He's being acclimated now. Thanks again everyone for all your advice.

Back
Top Bottom