Cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dansemacabre

Aquarium Advice Freak
Alrighty. I've decided to cure my un-cured LR in a rubbermaid container for sheer convenience. The main tank is simply too large to deal with all those water changes. So, as it is a new tank, should I shrimp-cycle it while the LR cures in the tub (there's 100+ lbs. of base rock in the tank), or should I wait until the LR has cured and then dump it on into the tank? My plan right now is to cure the LR in the tub (it comes tomorrow! =]) and then transfer it to the tank when it's curing/cycling has completed. I would then wait a week and make sure water parameters had stabilized, and then I wanted to add my first fish, and then a cleaner crew once they have something to clean. So, how about it? Cycle them simultaneously, or cure the rock and then cycle the tank? Also, what would you recommend for a cleanup crew for a 120Gal. I'd have to work my way up, but what should I aim for and what should I really start at? Thanks, for everything! ..again! :D

Depending on how much LR you are curing...I might cure the rock and add it to the tank...and start adding livestock very slowly. The cured rock will have alot of nitrifying bacteria on it and as the load on the tank increases the bacteria will spread to the base rock and multiply to keep up.

If it is a small amount of rock, I would do them simultaneously.

I would second that advice. Remember as you are curing this yourself, you may want to deal with unwanted hitchikers like Mantis shrimp :twisted: If you need help on getting rid of these, there are some threads here that discuss this issue. Just do a search for that. Latest opinions are that bristleworms (another typical hitchiker)are now not as dangerous as first thought and it is okay to keep them in your tank as they are good detrivores too. Just go nice and slow giving the tank a chace to re-adjust to the bio load. As far as the clean up crew, you can check these two sites. They seem to have some good packages:
www.ipsf.com
www.reefjanitors.com

I would buy an undersize package, as you can always add more detrivores if you need to, rather than having too many and not enough food to sustain them. Other than that, sounds like you have been doing your research and are on the right track. HTH 8)

I have 100+ lbs. of base rock in the main tank that I am hoping most of will become live in the next month or so...the LR I will be curing is approx. 50 lbs.

Hey there is nothing like taking a bath with a bunch of curing LR, mantis shrimp and bristle worms for company. Beats Ernie and the rubber duckie every time. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom