Cycling tank without fish for two months

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CBRGuy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am in the 4th week of cycling my tank. My NH was up around 7.5 now it is just around .25 and NO2 and NO3 are sky high > 1.5 so I asume that me cycle is almost done. My question is; I am going away on June 7th for a week so I was going to hold off on getting fish. Will that mess anything up in my tank and or cycle? Should I get a shrimp or two and maybe some snails to clean up the Algae? Should I do water change as if there were fish in the tank? BTW it is a 55 gal with LR. Thanks for any info.

No your tank will be fine while your gone.. Probably a good idea to not get the fish until you get back.. Enjoy the vacation!!!

hmm tuff to predict how that will turn out... june 7th is about 6 weeks away... In theory you could add another shrimp in a couple weeks and that will keep the ammonia going to keep the bacteria going. I would say as long as you have a good heater and your lights on a timer you should be ok. My only concern would be heat... does your house have AC? if you do you should be ok if you leave the AC on while you're away, otherwise you might want to do something to ensure the temp of the tank doesn't get too high if the temp out side rises while you're away.

Cool thanks for the info :mrgreen:

I will most likley set my AC to keep the temp around 75 so the temp in the tank doesn't fluxuate.

Back
Top Bottom