Cycling with base rock...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neeker4

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is it possible to cycle with only base rock and an ammonia source or do i need some LR to help the process along?

Will it take longer or should I pick up a small piece and try to scrub some coraline algae off?

The algae has nothing to do with the bacteria that is being created through the cycling process. If you want the coralline algae, you can always add a little live rock later. The live rock can speed up the cycle a bit, but IMO, the addl cost does not make it worth the time saved.

So basically an ammonia source is all i really need at the current time...?

So basically an ammonia source is all i really need at the current time...?

I would suggest adding 1-2 lbs if base or live rock before you add any ammonia source .
Adding too much rocks later can cause ammonia to spike and restart the nitrification cycle again.
Essentially you want everything in there you want except live stock before you add a few pieces of raw shrimp .
Nitrification bacteria can be purchased to speed up the cycle but I would highly recommend letting nature do what it was meant to .
Take your time , do not rush .
It will pay off later

Back
Top Bottom