Cycling with live rock question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SCFatz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been reading about people cycling with just rock and sand.

I understand how that would work with uncured live rock as the die off will produce the needed ammonia source.

But how about healthy live rock?Do you add it and then add fish or other ammonia source?Or does it have some measure off die off as well?If so why?

Is it that you add it without an ammonia source to encourage some die off?

What do you mean by healthy LR? Where is it from, is it already cured?
LR when shipped and out of water for some time will have some die off this causes the cycle to start.
If you have a lfs with cured lr and your using that then you will probably not need to have a cycle because the LR already has the bacteria needed.
Let us know what your talking about so we can get you a better answer.

Yes I was referring to 100% good to go healthy cured rock from the LFS.

I don't have it yet,just getting my head straight about it actually.
That was the answer I expected so thats cool.

This is how my bud will start/stock his 20g.That being the case how many pounds do you think we will need if we only add one small clown?

The amount is sorta up to you. Ideally, you want 1-2 pounds per gallon. I forget if he wanted to add corals or such down the road with it. Granted, the more liverock you have the more space for beneficial bacteria for biological filtration. Ie: The more the better. Some people just want a more open tank though, so only a few pounds.

I agree with seaham though. Cured rock will have very litte dieoff, meaning very little ammonia production. I would add a second ammonia source if that's the case.

What I would like to do is add some amount of cured live rock (enough to avoid a cycle) and add one small fish (very small bioload) basically all at the same time.
I am familier with the 1.5 lbs per gallon rule,but what I'm wondering is how much live rock will be needed to avoid a cycle given the small bioload?
Would say five pounds be enough if it is well esablished rock?

More is always better.. But In a 20 I would go a min of 10 to start.. Add some base rock also, its cheaper and will turn into LR over time. Even with cured LR I would wait a week or so before adding any fish.
If its the first SW tank you need time to learn about taking care of the tank. Evaporation rate, heat are all things that should be considered.

Ok ...thanks for the replies guys.It seems the decision has been made though lol.

We had been discussing (my friend and I ) going this route yesterday and he added fully cured live rock today and is acclimating two small clowns as I type this (I'm at work) sooooo...we'll see.

I would wait a week or so before adding any fish.

I would test the water too, before adding any livestock. Those two clowns might not make it. I would have let the tank produce more bacteria, especially if adding two fish.

keep us posted.

The tank wasn't cycled? I'd advise your friend to take the fish back or start mixing saltwater so he can do some daily water changes. Even when adding cured liverock, that just means that that rock won't die off to produce alot of ammonia. It's not a way to instantly cycle a tank.

Well.I suggested that if he went that route that he add only one small fish,but he went with two.The water was tested and will continue to be on a daily basis no doubt.

They were acclimated for about 3.5 hours last night with small amounts of tank water being added to the bag through out.

They were introduced at 9:30 last night and as of now they are doing well.

Fingers crossed,

EDIT:
The rock was in a tank with live stock.What about the bacteria present already?

The rock was in a tank with live stock.What about the bacteria present already?

It probably has some beneficial bacteria on it already. Let's hope, for the sake of those two fish, that your cycle already finished. You may want to persuade your friend to take it a little slower, otherwise, he might have more of a problem later.

Back
Top Bottom