Cycling with raw shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tested my parameters and they read : ammo 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 40-80 ppm hard to tell with Api test kit. Shrimp is still in the tank. Do i remove what's left of the shrimp? Today makes 2 weeks since i started my cycle. What are my next few steps to take. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks once again.

If there is still shrimp in there decomposing then you are cycled. Toss the shrimp and do water changes until your nitrates are at 0. Time for a fish bud.

So i don't have to wait for nitrates to go to 0 before doing a water change. How much of a water change do i do. Do i calculate the water that has evaporated in the water change. I have yet to experience the dreaded diatom bloom. Thanks once again Sniperhank ur a awesome aquaist!!!!

So i don't have to wait for nitrates to go to 0 before doing a water change. How much of a water change do i do. Do i calculate the water that has evaporated in the water change. I have yet to experience the dreaded diatom bloom. Thanks once again Sniperhank ur a awesome aquaist!!!!

No need to wait. The water changes will reduce the nitrate.

It's whenever there are silicates in the tank. If it was going to happen it'd have started by now unless the lights have been off.

No lights are on for 12hrs a day. I used caribsea aragonite sand and ocean direct caribsea live sand. Have noticed build up of green spot algae in the corners of my tank. Will be doing a pwc this weekend to lower nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom