Cycling with Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toddwess

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm going to cycle my 40 gallon tank with raw shrimp so that when I introduce my Live Rock, there won't be so much of an amonia spike and cause more die-off than necessary.

My question (for those of you that have cycled with raw shrimp before) how many should I put in a 40 gallon tank?

Should the lights be on or off?

Should the protien skimmer be on or off?

How long do I leave the shrimp in there? Won't it get all gross and be difficult to remove? Will it add phosphates into the water (I hate phosphates)?

Thanks for any help y'all'ins can provide!
Todd

My question (for those of you that have cycled with raw shrimp before) how many should I put in a 40 gallon tank?
1 small to medium fresh NEVER FROZEN shrimp is what I would suggest.

Should the lights be on or off?
off to avoid an algae bloom. if there is nothing else in the tank you have no need for lights.

Should the protien skimmer be on or off?
off

How long do I leave the shrimp in there? Won't it get all gross and be difficult to remove? Will it add phosphates into the water (I hate phosphates)?
as soon as you have something else in there that will supply amonia. If you take it out without putting something in to suppyl amonia to your tank you'll lose the bacteria you just created and you'll need to cycle all over again. one thing you can do is place the shrimp in a shallow plastic cup. One of those cheap gladware disposable thingies would be perfect. that way you can remove it easily. I just left mine in there until it desovled completely away.

Not sure about the phosphates.

for a quick read, we have an article here on Cycling Without Fish

This is excellent! Thanks for the info, BillyZ.

So, will I see the tank cycle with the shrimp? I.E. will the shrimp just keep producing more and more amonia as time goes by, or will I actually see the amonia go up, and then down to zero as the bacteria come to life?

I plan on taking the shrimp out when my 30 lbs of UnCured LR is delivered. Then, I'm going to let the tank cycle again (shoud be a short one, right?) and then add in the three clowns I have in my quarantien tank right now.

does this sound like a good plan?

Thanks again,
Todd

So, will I see the tank cycle with the shrimp? I.E. will the shrimp just keep producing more and more amonia as time goes by, or will I actually see the amonia go up, and then down to zero as the bacteria come to life?
You will see a full normal cycle. The amonia will sky rocket, then start to fall as the bacteria colonies grow. Because the detectable levels are falling does NOT mean the shrimp isn't producing amonia, it simply means the bacteria is processing it faster than the shrimp is producing it... this is a good thing.

Then, I'm going to let the tank cycle again (shoud be a short one, right?)
can't answer that question. That all depends on the strength of the bacteria colonies that are created, the amount of die off on the rock when it gets there, and the phase of the moon.. or something ;o) It's impossible to tell the length, but, yes, the fact you already have the bacteria there will help to some degree.

and then add in the three clowns I have in my quarantien tank right now.
by "and then" you mean AFTER the second cycle that will start when you add the LR right? you don't want to put the fish in there until after the second cycle is complete and you've done a large water change, at least 20%.

does this sound like a good plan?
You've already executed your best plan by asking first :D I think you're well on your way. Good luck and keep up posted!

Yep, definitely going to wait for the tank to cycle again after adding the uncured LR when it arrives. These little guys have been in quarantien for 10 days already, and I imagine that after the second cycle, they will have spent about 6 weeks in there. I want to make sure their new home is perfect before introducing them.

Actually, I'll probably add the clean-up crew afer the LR cycles and give them a week or so to get busy.

Thanks agian for all the greaat advice!

Todd

glad I could help. One word of caution on the clean up crew. Inverts are MUCH more suceptiable to Nitrate levels than fish are. Be sure you have those levels in check before adding you're clean up crew. I would say shoot for 20

Back
Top Bottom