Cycling your tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cancun

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone! *I am just curious after reading a thread about salt water aquarium cycling why no one has used a bottle of bacteria from your lfs....my tank was cycled in 48 hours....I just put live sand....live rock...and filled the tank with salt water....turned on the pumps....and then dumped the bottle of bacteria in.....let it run for 48 hours...the tested my water...ammonia was 0...nitrates .5 ppm....nitrites 0....started to stock my tank...slowly....and all are still with me and thriving. * I would be interested in hearing anyones thoughts on this.....especially those of you who sound anxious to get through the cycling process....:D

Did you test the water before you added everything? Have you been testing it since? Two days seems quick.

From what I have read, people have issues with bottled bacteria because some products simply don't work. Some products say the work for both fresh and saltwater, but the bacteria are not the same. Many stores have old product so it is not as effective. I've heard some people state that doing it this way does not establish as strong a colony of bacteria (but have seen no scientific research to back that either way).

I agree with some of the above, but also feel that the proper product absolutely works . I have used Dr Tim's One & Only three times and my tanks cycled in about 5-7 days. Never had issues afterwards. Was able to do the "dose tank to 4ppm" and it was down to zero in less than 24 hours too. I would not use anything else.

Tbf with all live rock and live sand could be that which has cycled your tank straight away. Although did you dose your ammonia up or is it just a case of your readings are that after adding the bottled bacteria?

Most people that try the bottled bacteria has it fail miserably on them. Myself included. It''s nowhere near reliable enough to suggest that people waste their money on it.

Hi and thanks for responding!! Unfortunately I didn't check my water before I added the bacteria....I was going on the instructions from my lfs....but yea I bet the live rock and sand helped things....nope I didn't dose my tank with ammonia. ....I didn't add anything but the live sand and rock...and bacteria....I am sure you guys are right that it doesn't work for everyone. ...my lfs is a reputable place...so maybe that helped too....and I know if I bought a bad bottle of bacteria. ....he would exchange it or give me my money back.....it is grest having a lfs so close....:D

Yeah but how do you know it's cycled, cycled is when you dose the tank up on an ammonia source and it goes down to 0 in next to no time. Your readings will be 0 at the moment because there is nothing gone in to raise the ammonia same as if you tested standard ro water. Put some shrimp in there for couple of days or some ammonia then check your readings

Was the live rock you bought cured? If so then there was no need for the bottled bacteria at all.

You have to be careful with the. "reputable LFS" thing. If you don't know what you are doing, they will often sound like they know a lot. Even one of my LFS gives good advice most of the time, but I hear some questionable things every once and a while. You can test tap water or fresh saltwater and get zero ammonia, nitrites and a little nitrate . I think that's why people are a little worried for you here.

What fish did you put in the tank and how big is it?

Back
Top Bottom