damsel cycling from previous post

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RandyStacyE

Aquarium Advice Activist
For all of you that think I'm BAD for saying to use a damsel. Go to general discussion and read "kill a fish". Besides, hypothetically speaking, if a cure was found for whatever, would you kill one to save the rest???

Stacy

Hmm yes, a nice slow death in ammonia filled water is a great idea. I have no problem with cycling with fish, provided the person does the appropriate water changes to prevent excess ammonia and nitrite buildup.

would ya kill all and wipe them out to save one ??? that can go both ways !! not to knock ya for the damsels cause im sure everyone has done it at least once or twice for sure here !! but the point is to make people know that there are other ways !! i agree it really sucks having a new tank with nothing in it for 3-4 weeks !! but like tkos said if its done right then no deaths or to much stress on the animal !!

For all of you that think I'm BAD for saying to use a damsel. Go to general discussion and read "kill a fish". Besides, hypothetically speaking, if a cure was found for whatever, would you kill one to save the rest???

I have certainly missed something. Most people that use damsels to cycle tanks, have been listening to their LFS, it is not the person I think is bad....it is the LFS. Once you know there is a way to cycle the tank that is cheaper, better for the fish and as efficient, if not moreso, than using live fish....then I just don't understand it. I don't necessarily think that person is bad, but I do disagree with them and I fail to understand their method.

As for the To kill a fish thread, Euthanasia is somethimes necessary to end the fishes suffering in a hopeless case, whether you choose to put the fish down and how is a personal decision, but if you choose to do it, I think a discussion on the fastest, most humane way to do it is beneficial and appropriate.

Back
Top Bottom