daryls new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darylb

Aquarium Advice Addict
so for my 21st my girlfriend and her mum are buying me a new tank off a fellow reefer. from what I worked out its around 125 gallons 41 inches long 36 inches wide and 19 inches high it come with the sump and stand that's not quiet finished yet. my next door neighbour is on on it too and he said he will help finish the stand for me. ill be making a frame over the top to hang my leds from. ill upload pics soon im so excited

This is it before I pick it up

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1419344692927.jpg
    1419344692927.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 276
It's awesome it seems really unique. Do you think I could have a tang in there or is the overall swimming length to short

I would stick to something like a kole tang. I was looking at having a tank of very similar dimensions made out of acrylic a long time ago and that was the road I was going to take when it came to the world of tangs.

No worries I'd like a fox face if anything. Hopefully this tank will look good I think the scape is going to be quiet hard to get right

Picked it up :)

Attachments

• 1419658615415.jpg
    1419658615415.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 219
Will you be making an acrylic or glass box around the standpipes? It seems like there was one before, judging by the square impression on the bottom pane. You might want to consider that since it will be beneficial. If those bulkheads ever leaked, you would have to drain the entire tank to service them. Plus, it will help stop fish and inverts from making it to the sump.

That's just the cut out in the Styrofoam but now that you mention it I might actually do that. The local hardware store sells acrylic. He just had the stand pipes in the tank before he glued all the plumbing so I can't re use much of it how would I go attaching the acrylic to the glass will silicone work

Yes, silicone will work. It doesn't adhere to acrylic like it would to glass, but the water pressure pushing against it instead of pushing outward will help keep it from leaking. 90% of the reef ready tanks out there have plastic overflows siliconed to the glass pane.

Awesome I had so many people telling me that it was going to fail I made one out of glass today but I think it may be a bit high now. It's 470mm to the underside of the brace and I made the glass weir 440mm high sorry for the metric measurements

Haha yea I know it got pretty annoying I was going to use epoxy to glue it then just run a bead of silicon all around it too

I made one out of glass seems to be alright but I might still do acrylic it looks kinda hight tho

Attachments

• 1419863923283.jpg
    1419863923283.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 207
Just over that will be your water level, so keep that in mind. You could just skin that in black acrylic...and don't forget to cut some grooves at the top to hold back critters.

My LFS sells the comb stuff I was going to glue it to the top I'll try find black acrylic today :)

That's pretty cool ill have to try fond something like that locally I think shipping from.the states will be a bit pricey haha. Quick question. I'm planning on having a lot of sps in this tank also iv got the jeabo dc 12000 pump as my return if I ran that at full speed would that effect the water level in my sump?

Back
Top Bottom