Dechlorinator in salt tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ninjafish40

Aquarium Advice Activist
As far as treating salt water is it the same as freshwater ?
As far as removing ammonia and chlorine ?

The preference for water is pure RO/DI water. Then all the clorides, nitrates, phosphates and any other chemicals and disolved solids are gone. TDS = 0. If your doing a reef tank, that is almost mandatory. For a FOWLR tank you can get away with treated tap water, but its not recommended as it can still cause algae growth in the tank. Freshwater tanks have the luxury of significant plant growth to consume excess nutrients, but without plants, it is more of an issue in saltwater tanks.

Agreed.... Whether reef or fowlr, you should be using purified RODI water, not treated tap. RODI has everything removed, no treating required, and the salt mix reintroduces all of the necessary buffers, elements, & nutrients. Tap water contains way too much junk.... may not be immediately detrimental to your system, but the contaminants can slowly accumulate to cause some serious problems later down the road.
If you are using tap, then yes, I would treat it, then add your salt & let mix overnight.

Ok dumb question what's RO/DI?

Reverse Osmosis DeIonized water. In short, it's a special filtering process where the water passes through a series of filters, membranes, and deionizing resin to completely clean the water of all contaminants.

Not really, you can get one for less than $100 and they really really make a huge difference.

If you don't the salts to premix your LFS also has it mixed already for $0.50 as well. I also have another 5g for just RO/DI water for topping off. I only have a small 29g cube so for now & this will do. If you have a large aquarium then buying the unit is your best bet.

lvve.jpg

If you don't the salts to premix your LFS also has it mixed already for $0.50 as well. I also have another 5g for just RO/DI water for topping off. I only have a small 29g cube so for now & this will do. If you have a large aquarium then buying the unit is your best bet.

Yeah its always good to have some spare RODI water laying around for topping off and what not i keep 5 gallons at all times just incase i will need it

Back
Top Bottom