Decholor then seasalt or wha?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr_tee0419

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok, bout to fill my tank. I'm using RODI water from the grocercy store. I'm not sure if it has chlorine in it or not... probably so. Anyhow, is it ok if I mix the seasalt and then let it sit for a week or more to naturally dechlorinate? Or, should I use a dechlorinator and then add seasalt?

if it's RO/DI it better not have chlorine! Do a little research on RO/DI and you'll see why it should be pure water that needs no dechlorination.

for the record, it doesn't matter, but I'd dechlor then add the salt.

Agreed, RO/DI water from the grocery store dispensers will not have chlorine in it unless their whole filtration unit is not working properly. Most are serviced by an outside company, and I have never had any problem with several different ones I have used. The process usually goes through several stages including sediment filters, carbon blocks, and a membrane to produce pretty darn close to pure water. You should be fine to aerate it, bring it to temperature, and add the sea salt.

Back
Top Bottom