Deep sand bed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stevew8828

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm just starting a 39 gallon aquarium. It's completely empty, how many inches of sand do I need for a DSB. The tank is 24"L X 20"W. I was planning on using 40lbs of sand to have a 2" bed. Is this deep enough? Thanks

I don't think the 1 pound a gallon thing works with sand. I used two 3 gallon bucket fulls to achieve a 2-3inch substrate in my 29 and the bucket didn't weight 15 pounds each.

Usually 1 pound a gallon gets you 1-2 inches of sand. For a dsb it's 2 pounds or more per gallon. Also, maybe it didn't feel like it weighed 15 pounds because that is light and you are strong lol (not kidding)

Stevew8828 said:
Thanks. Do most people have a Dsb?

A lot of people say they cause problems. I don't think that's true. The only thing is that you need creatures that dig in the sand that have it turned over a couple of times a week. You could get a sand shifting star, a horseshoe crab(not recommended), some nassarius snails or even a diamond watchman goby. You need these so that the gases trapped in the sand get released. And I'm not sure if people do. I do though, and I think it looks nice with a dsb.

there is only one problem a DSB does wrong and thats if you disturb it while its still i nthe process of establishing itself. if organic matter gets under the sand before the life has built itself, the organics will decompose and creat toxic gases that will poison and whip out your entire system.

if done properly a DSB mixed with a refugium and live rock will be the best filtration system you could use in a reef, as it will be the most natural. PWC to remove nitrates and organics will not be needed unless to reestablish used up trace elements

Back
Top Bottom