Diatom and green algae blooms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jammiesammie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys,

I need help! I've had my tank running now for 2.5months and only added my first cleanup crew about a week ago (4 turbo snails and a nassarius snail). I only have a small 50L tank and I'm going through another diatom bloom, but this time my entire tank is covered, glass, rocks and sand! Then earlier I noticed a small patch on the brown algae had cleared and in the centre was a small green patch.....

Is this normal??? Should I leave it or clean it all off??
I recently added another 3 piece of live rock to my tank, so i have 5 pieces now... would this affect it???

All of my parameter seem ok!
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Ph 8.2
Salinity 32ppt
KH 8.6dkh
Phosphate is dropping but currently at 0.1

Thanks in advance!

Are you up to 1 lbs per gallon in the system for live rock? If so, you can stop adding live rock.
Phosphate is still very high. .03 is what you normally aim for. On top of your 10% weekly water changes, do large water changes during the week. Never do more than 50% in a 24 hour period, as even too much of a good thing can still be stressful. Make sure you are using ro/di water so you aren't adding more excess nutrients back into the system. Manual removal during water changes will also assist.

Back
Top Bottom