Diatom problems with pic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arminkropp

Aquarium Advice Freak
Wondering if anybody here could confirm that this is Diatom algae.
Warning Dialup users....big pic!
http://www.mts.net/~kroppa/Diatompic.jpg
What is the best way to get rid of this? I guessing the local water store is has something in their RO water lately(like not changing filters etc...). only in the past month has it been getting bad. The only thing I did was change salt. Dont think that would do it.(kent salt).

Thanx

Hmmmm ... I don't know my diatoms (when I had them) looked like just a dusting over the sand and yours looks rather built up if you ask me.

I would say to do a water change, if you believe your LFS has not changed their filters you may want to ask them, only IF you use strictly their water. I know my LFS wouldn't have a problem with me asking. Increase flow to that are if possible. What size tank and what are your water parameters? And what kind of clean up crew do you have and how many?

Jermz

I only use bought RO water from the local WATER store. My tank is a 50Gal and all parameters ae fine. no NO4 no nitrites and nitrates are undetectable. pH is at 8.2. I dont if flow will help caues one PH is pointing directly at a heater and the build up is there too. As far as a cleanup crew goes I have about 30 hermits and 10 turbos. Strawberry conch also stirs up the sand a bit.

Looks like diatom to me.. How old is the tank. Nice coraline on the LR..
It could be the new salt mix, some salt mixes contain a higher amounts of silicate. Silicates should be tested for also. My guess after a few water changes the tank go through the diatom stage again and it should go away.

The Tank is 6 months old. I have to say I'm very impressed with the coraline in my tank...I know I shouldnt say it but its kinda a pain in the ass. I gave up on cleaning it off the sides of my tank now I have to try to keep to front glass clean! I'm going on my fourth WC with Kent salt tomorrow. Hopefully I wont have to wait too long. On a side note I added seachem Phosguard to my filter on friday to help out. The other thing is I should really get a silicate test kit. just so I know where I stand.
All I have to say is I WANT MY OWN RO/DI UNIT!!
Now to convince the wife....... :wink:

If your tank is not that old it is a normal thing. It will jumpstart the consumers of diatoms, micro scopic at first and then pods and other such critters. Overall its a good thing IF your tank is new. If its more then 3-4 months old then I would worry.

Back
Top Bottom