Different Hydrometer readings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arminkropp

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK, I know I should get the refractometer, but I dont have the cash right now.

I bought a new IO hydrometer. My Old one was a DeepSix. I've had it for about a 1.4years now. Currently my DeepSix reads 1.024 and on the same water the IO reads 1.028. I "seasoned" the needle overnight and still the same reading. So my question is; Is the new IO reading right? would the DeepSix be out that much after a year?

TIA

What is "seasoned" the needle?????????
No way to tell which is right, if either is right...
Do you know someone with a refractometer? If so either borrow it and check your tank and then you will know which is right. If you can't borrow it take you hydorm to there tank and check there water and then test with a refracto.. You will be "calibrating" for lack of a better term your hydrometer.

I started out with a Deep Six and kept getting these little bubbles on it, but you could knock them off with a little effort. I decided maybe the IO would be easier so I got one. My tank was at 1.022 with the DEEP SIX and the IO read 1.028…..WOW. I took them both to my lfs and the IO was the incorrect one. This blew my mind especially with the reputation IO has. I was just VERY thankful I didn’t start out with the IO and mess things up. My lfs store said the reason the only one they carry is the DS because it is “certified.”
I wouldn’t think anything is wrong with yours unless there is physical damage to it but I would definitely compare them both to a friend or your lfs.
HTH
Mike

I found my hydro needle was different in different parts of my tank. I think it hat do do w/water movement, position (I think mine was supposed to be about 5 inches under the surface).
Next time you prepare your water, test them both in the batch and see what you get. On mine, you could put a plug in the bottom and fill it up and take it out of the water and sit it on a flat surface.
I would imagine, different companies "calibrate" each one to their standards....

one thing you can do is to "calibrate" your hydrometer. Find some pure RO water. this should read as 1.000. put that in your hydrometers and see where they actually read. make note of that on the side of the hydrometer and adjust all your readings accordingly.

one thing you can do is to "calibrate" your hydrometer. Find some pure RO water. this should read as 1.000. put that in your hydrometers and see where they actually read. make note of that on the side of the hydrometer and adjust all your readings accordingly.

Good point!

Shouldnt it read at 0? When I calibrate my refracto it should read 0.

Shouldnt it read at 0? When I calibrate my refracto it should read 0.

You will need to use distilled water and calibrate it by aligning the two horizontal lines on top of eachother.

They were talking about hydros and using distilled water to find what 0 really should be on the hydrometer.

Back
Top Bottom