Digger's 125gal FOWLR build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Digger

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I'm about to get started building and I promise to provide lots of pictures along the way. This build will take a while for several reasons:

1. I like to do things right the first time. One of my favorite lines in a movie is "Son, the Ruskies don't take a dump without a plan." - Stripes :D
2. Financial considerations
3. Time constraints with work

Well here goes!

What I Have:

125gal DT

Two standard 3' single light reflector lamps

55gal for sump

20gal for QT (A must - no livestock goes in the DT until after the QT)

Eggcrate for lining the bottom of tank under rocks

40lbs of medium coarse sand from MarcoRocks

105lbs of dry rock from MarcoRocks

4 lbs of dry rock rubble courtesy of overpacking from MarcoRocks

11lbs of dry rock donated from a friend (Thanks Matt!)

Various PVC pipe and connectors for DYI overflow

What I am planning on getting:

Seifert test kits

PanWorld 100PXX 1270gph pump for return line

Two Koralia Evolution 1400 circulation pumps

One Koralia Evolution 750 circulation pump

Reef Octopus Diablo XS200 Protein Skimmer

What else I need:

Too numerous to mention right now. I think the above is enough to keep me busy for a little bit.

Any comments or suggestion on equipment is appreciated. The eqiupment I'm planning on is not set in stone. I still have time until the Bulk Reef Supply group buy.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a good plan of attack ..Look forward watching this come together for you..Enjoy the ride..

I would definitely recommend a quarantine tank. :) IME ich is a huge pain and something you never want to deal with.

By the way, I am following!

Ok, pics as promised. Not much to start with but here goes.

125gal DT is a beauty!

55gal and 20gal are very dirty. Both have rims that are loose. The 55gal has a missing top rim. I will be tearing down both and resealing them. That is the only way I will feel comfortable about them. Hey but for $30 for both, I can't complain. Too much that is! :D

Attachments

• 125GalEmpty.JPG
    125GalEmpty.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 133
  • 55GalEmpty.jpg
    55GalEmpty.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 112
  • 20GalQTEmpty.jpg
    20GalQTEmpty.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 124
Completely tore down the 55g. Glad I did it too! The seals were in horrible shaped and may not have held any water at all or not for long at least.

I forgot to take pics of the teardown.:banghead: I will get some tape tomorrow and post pics of the taped glass ready to seal and step by step through the rebuild of the 55g.

Might make some measurements and get some glass cut for the baffles while I'm in town...

Ready to get the 55g under the DT so I can REALLY get started. (y)

Resealed the 55g sump tank today. Making measurements for the different sections. Then have some glass cut and silicone them in place.

Last edited:
Pics of my DIY overflow...

Individual pieces...

Pieces partly assembled...

Full assembly...

Installed...

Overflow intake...

This little jewel makes the whole thing work (in theory). Ready to get my pump and do some testing on the overflow.
I used a PVC cross with the two sides cut off. This allows for plenty of water intake while the bottom of the cross with the plug pushes down on the 4" pipe. The 4" pipe has a plug in the bottom to help it sit flat and seal off the overflow chamber. By pushing down, if something were to come loose, it would still suction instead of attaching to the bottom and losing suction.

The cap on the riser pipe will have a small hole drilled into it to allow airflow but the cap should quiet the overflow.

I will install an air check valve with a little piece of tubing in the elbow at the top of the overflow to help start the suction. Once started the overflow should not lose prime if the power goes out and should start up again upon restoration of power. The surface area of the 4" pipe will allow for a theoretical flow of about 1200GPH however actual will be less.

Also, calculations show that I should only backflow 3.7 gallons max if the power goes out before suction stops.

Well, I had a setback day before yesterday. :(

I shattered the side of my sump tank trying to drill it. I didn't think 55g tanks where tempered except for the bottom.

The tank was in bad shape. Don't know what brand it is as it doesn't have any stickers on it.

On the bright side, all I have to do is get a replacement piece of glass and I'll have a 55g for another tank. (y)

Meanwhile, to get this project moving, I'm going to aquire another tank for my sump. I was going to install a bulkhead for my return pump. I think I'll just redesign my return to not need drilling.

OK...

Decided to definately not drill the new tank! :nono: Acquired another 55 gal to use as a sump.

Now changing from an external to an internal pump. I was gonna use a Pan World 100PXX 1270gph. Anyone know what a good internal pump that would replace that Pan World would be?

Wow! Has it been two months since I updated this thread?

Well, had to change sump idea. The 55 gal wouldn't fit under the 125 gal and allow room for the overflow or return pipe. I didn't even consider this as many others use a 55 as a sump for a 125. Guess those are drilled reef tanks or the stands are different size. Good news is I now have a 55 gal to setup up later as another tank!

Found a good tank sale and got a 20 tall and a 20 long for $34.98. Gonna setup the tall as a refugium and the long will be hold the skimmer, bubble trap, LR rubble and return area. The tall will drain into the return area of the long.

Got the two tanks installed under the DT and the black background installed. Now to plumb it and start rock-scaping. Now I can make some progress.

Starting to think about stock. Only requirement is that I have at least one Yellow Tang And a Mandarin Goby mfor the wife. Any suggestions as to what will play nice with these in a FOWLR setup?

You and my wife both!

She was sitting in her chair beside the tank the other day and said it would sure be nice if there was fishys in there.

Pics as promised... Changed sump to 20g long and a 20g high for a fuge.

Tank with black background, Marco Rock, overflows and return installed- ready for water.

img_0410.jpg

Closeup of Marco Rock and painted overflow. Can you see them?

img_0411.jpg

Left cabinet under DT contains sump. Note skimmer section, over-under-over bubble trap, flow through LR rubble then over to return. Pipe on right is overflow from refugium on right side. Two pipes on left side are overflows located on left and right side of DT.

img_0412.jpg

Center cabinet contains return pipe and pump. You can also see overflow from fuge.

img_0413.jpg

Right cabinet holds Refugium. Will have a 6" DSB in there. Overflow from right side is split so I can control the flow rate into the fuge and the rest goes to the skimmer area of the sump in the left cabinet.

img_0414.jpg

Now to get it filled...

Steve

Just ordered more rock and the sand for the DSB. Got the RO/DI fired up. Will be filling soon!

Tank is filled!! :dance:

Now to get the sump and refugium filled.
Last minute check on plumbing to adjust flow between sump and fuge.
Then start cycling! Pics of the tank up and running coming Sunday I hope.

Thanks for following!

Steve

Back
Top Bottom