Digital Salinity Tester & Digital PH Tester... Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all,

I purchased a Digital Salinity tester, and a Digital PH tester, to hopefully ease in some of the testing...

The salinity tester seams to be mostly accurate +/- 0.02 SG. According to the manufacturer its suppose to be more accurate than a refractometer. Before my Refractometer broke, I compared its results with my Swing arm hydrometer, and the results were almost identical. The results from the digital tester are +/- 0.02 SG from my Swing Arm Hydrometer.

The Digital PH tester, I don't have really anything to compare it with, other than the liquid test, but that's hard to get a distinctive result from..

The Digital Salinity tester comes with a controll 30ppm solution to calibrate the tester. The PH tester has a small screw driver to adjust the calibration, but doesn't have a test solution to calibrate with.

Does anyone have any experience with thease type of testers? Does anyone know how I should go about checking the calibration on the PH tester?

Are thease devices Trustworthy?

Thanks,

-TheChad

I have never tried one of those. I would tend to think you could use distilled water to calibrate it, just like the refracto/hydrometers. I could be wrong, just a suggestion.

Might look up the pH values of common household items like vinegar to calibrate the pH probe. If you have a scientific supply house near you, you can get more professional calibration solutions. There's also the possibility of making your own calibration solution with distilled water and a buffer powder of a known pH.

Lots of people with high end tanks love the electronic meters for everything. I've not played with them myself.

Back
Top Bottom