Dip Stick Tests reliable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drewbles99

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently purchased a 5 in 1 dip test kit (like litmus paper) that tests nitrate, nitrite, PH and alkalinity for salt water (the 5th test is for freshwater only). Has anyone had experience with these tests? Are they reliable enough for a fish only system?

Thanks for any input.

-Drewbles

Funny, I use them for my hot tub where I go, but I would never use them on a tank. They are very innacurate. They would tell you if you had a major problem, but I would stick to normal tests.

I agree with bearfan.
problem with dipstick tests is that if they are subjected to any amount of humidity before being used, they won't be accurate.

There are certain things in our hobby which shouldn't be skimped on due to convenience. Test kits and water changes are probably the two biggest ones you shouldn't skimp on (figuring in that a good salt mix is a part of water changes)

I have used them in conjunction with my liquid test kits. I happened to have some left from my FW setup. They were fairly accurate, but their range is so broad that you can't get a close enough actual count. The nitrate one had a range of 20 ppm between colors. Not quite close enough for me.

they will give you a general idea of your levels but will not tell you just how off they are. so if you are looking to see if every thing is ok then you could use them but toher wise not really.

I used them when cycling the tank because I only needed a general indication of the levels. Once the strips indicated that the tank was cycled, I used my more accurate liquid tests. For the price, they might be a good idea when checking tank parameters while cycling.

hmm, intresting, i never bothered with the dipstick tests, IMO SALIFERT kits are the best to go with, costly master kits, but are very accurate and imo the best on the market

Back
Top Bottom