direct sunlight question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

al

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
what are the cons of allowing direct sunlight to hit the fishtank? my tank is about 2 feet away from my west facing window, so it receives lots of sunlight, through a cream/white pull down shade. i haven't had any algae problems yet, tank has been set up almost a year. my lighting rig gives me only 1.2 watts per gallon, and i don't want to upgrade my lighting so am hoping i can use the sun along with my lights. can sunlight have bad effects (other than algae) that i should worry about?

my tank:
29 gal
1 perc clown
1 green chromis
1 peppermint shrimp
1 fire shrimp, 1 cleaner shrimp
orange starfish
~15mushrooms
large green tree coral
40lbs LR / 40lbs LS
crappy filter, berlin airlift skimmer, 20 watts actinic, 15 watts white

-thanks
-al

**also, has anyone come up with anything to combat the residue that flaked food leaves on the surface of the water? i've been using my fish net to collect it, but it's kind of a pain. thanks.

FOr the resudue on the top of the water you need to increase your surface agatation or get a surface skimmer to skim off that film on a continueal basis.

One of the nasty side effects of sunlight is heat. If your tank is not suffering from temperature problems when the sun is shining on it then you dont have to worry about the heat issue.

Back
Top Bottom