Dirty Yellow Moray Eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devilishturtles

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi guys. I was browsing through the Aquarium Fish Magazine today, and noticed they mentioned a Dirty Yellow Moray Eel.

I have a 29 gallon FOWLR set up, soon to be reef as soon as I get some things sorted out, and all goes the way I planned. Would this eel do ok? According to the magazine, the eel is "nano-reef safe". I thought "nano-reef" referred to basically anything 20 gal and under? I don't have a covered tank now, and realize I'd need to have one. My only inhabitants are two Ocellaris Clowns now, and some pep shrimp. I'd like to stock the tank with a dwarf angel, and that's about it.

How would the eel do? Would you advise against getting it? Any informative sites out there with info? I haven't found one(the eel) yet for sale, and gain from other posts that they are hard to come by, I'm more just curious.

I googled with no luck, and searched on AA, but didn't find much info.

Thanks for any and all help!

I think most eels are listed as reef safe because they won't bother your coral and such but any mobile inverts you have will be lunch. Your peps and crabs would no doubt not fare well. I don't know anything about this particular species of eel so I can't say rather you should get it or not. I'll have to find the mag. issue you are talking about. :D

I'll have to find the mag. issue you are talking about.

I think it was just last months issue. On the cover it mentions the snowflake (I think) eel. What caught my attention was the mention of it being "nano-reef safe" 8)

These kind of morays were the first I wanted. The only reson I cant get one is because they cost some $500 CDN. Sweet little buggers though. If you could find one for cheeper good luck and happy hunting.

Matt

A snowflake eel would be a great addition to your reef tank. They are also not usually that expensive, I got mine for only $35.00. They are very reef safe and usually good with other tank mates. You definitely need a cover for the top though...that is how my snowflake eel died, from escaping from the tank even though there was a lid on it...so just make sure you tank is escape proof!

Lindsay, can you get the scientific name?
Which mag? I have Aquarium Fish International and FAMA.

Last edited:
Lindsay, can you get the scientific name?
Which mag? I have Aquarium Fish International and FAMA.

Yes, a scientific name or link to show the animal would be great :) Typically there are two commonly sold 'yellow morays,' one the Atlantic (Gymnothorax miliaris) and the other Indo-Pacific (Gymnothorax melatremus). The latter is the dwarf so definitely make sure the lfs knows which is which.

LOL! Not until you pointed that out! I definitely don't have that issue!

Back
Top Bottom