dissolving rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KLN

Aquarium Advice Regular
In my second tank, which is in early fishless cycling phase, I put a rock I thought had been in an aquarium in the past. Then the rock started to dissolve. I took it out, but some of it was aleady dissolved in the tank. Could that have put something unhealthy in the water? How should I check for it?

Do you know what kind of rock it was? Could it have been a very dried lime rock that just started to erode with the water and waterflow?

If your not certain what kind of rock it was, I would do a large, if not total water change and run GAC.

No idea what kind of rock. It was off-white, and is white now. It dissolved rapidly, leaving sediment on the sand in the tank, and a lot of cloudy matter when I removed it. If it was limestone, would that be harmful to fish?

If it was limestone, would that be harmful to fish?

No, LR is pretty much a limestone rock. That is what it sounds like to me, the limestone was dried and brittle and started to erode when introduced to water.

FWIW, it's not a good idea to add things to your tank if you are uncertain of their origins.

Back
Top Bottom