Diving in.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fadetoblack06

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I decided to jump into a saltwater aquarium so to speak. To start it is a 75 gallon tank, coralife light fixture, fluval 406 canister filter, aquaclear power head flowing in the opposite direction of the output of the canister filter, I have a 300 watt heater, and a bubble wall. Oh and the lights are coralife 50/50 65 watt light bulbs. I have the sand, base rock (getting more tomorrow and live rock tomorrow too), and the salt in. Besides a protein skimmer what else would be Recommended for start up. I've read a lot of start up info on here and learned a lot. Also can you mix different types of base rock?

Attachments

• image-2397373197.jpg
    image-2397373197.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 113
I'd say more live rock, you may want more flow. I guess once all the rock scaping I done you'll have a better idea on the flow. The lights sound ok.

The window right above the tank concerns me a little.

Any plans on a shade or tinting the window?

I had to do that in my bedroom where my BC29 is. The window near the tank I had double limo tint but on the top and bottom, plus the curtains so sunlight isn't an issue.

fadetoblack06 said:
Also I have an unlimited supply of RO to mix my salt with at work so that's not an issue either.

That's a really nice thing to have. Score on that one.

Thanks. I'm getting more base rock and live Rock. Probably twice the much that's in there now. The window has a shade on it that I plan on keeping the shade shut.

You can skip the bubble wall, totally not necessary in saltwater. You will have salt creep and residue everywhere if you use it. :)
You can mix and match all your rock if you like. I find it gives a better look when its all different kinds. I usually start with about 25% live rock and the rest base rock. Look at the rock at either

www.reeefrocks.net
or
Saltwater and Reef Aquarium Supplies - Bulk Reef Supply

Both sites have rock for about $2 a lb which is way way cheaper than doing the whole tank in live rock. And the base rock will turn into live rock after a few weeks and a few months later you wont be able to tell the live from the base I betcha!

Good luck. Your list looks great by the way, so you are about ready to begin! woot!

Thanks carey, I'll get the bubble wall out tomorrow. Also I have a Lfs that sells the base for $1.90 a pound. I'm picking up the live rock too tomorrow.

For base rock you want very porous rock, this allows the beneifical bacteria and other critters to build little homes and gives you more surface area. The base rock should be light for its size and should be pretty to your eye. I've found the cheap base rock that my LFS's sell is very dense without many holes and in my opinion you can do loads better. If you look at those sites above check out what the rock actually looks like, thats what you are aiming for. :)

For live rock it's up to you. Some people like fiji, some like tonga some caribbean. I've got a mix of several different types in all of my tanks and it gives a nice look when you switch it up here and there. You will want some flatter pieces so that you can place corals so keep that in mind as well. The rock is the lifeblood of the tank so make your selections as best you can. You can also add all the base rock you want whenever you want so you can add as you go if need be. You cannot add live rock after the cycle if you have living creatures in the tank so get all your live rock up front. It will help tremendously with the cycle as well. It's win win all around.

The base rock should be extra porous and the live should be whatever he likes pretty much was the point I was trying to make. lol I go with porous rock for both live and base in my tanks but if you wanna switch it up thats what I would do.

The live rock is the rock that can help with the cycling not the base.

Sorry if I wasnt clear. :)

I get that part :). But you were talking about not adding live rock after cycling? I thought that was what your supposed to get after it cycles. I was told by more then one person to put some damsils in with the cycling I don't know that I would want to do that.

No fish in till cycle is done. Base rock has no bateria on it therefore it will have no efftect on a cycle nor will it start one. Live rock is well live. It has the benifical bacteria on it that maintains the nitrogen cycle. When you take live rock out of water to say transport it die off of bacteria will occur. When you put it back in your tank the bacteria that has died will start a cycle. This is why you add it all in the beginning before any livestock is in the tank. Some people will cure it if they want to ad more after the tank is established . This means to have a seperate tub with heater, power head and saltwater of course and let the cycle take place in the tub before adding to the tank. But that is a pain. Add it all at the start it's so much easier. :)

Tank now a week later. I just picked up another 50lbs of live rock and added it. So now I'm up 75 pounds.

Attachments

• image-1811440599.jpg
    image-1811440599.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 79
Bubbles: I had bubbles in my tank and salt creep was not my problem, the bubbles lowered my ph drastically, so I wouldn't recommend any bubbles.

Live rock: I read (after I set up my tank, unfortunately) that it is better not to have the live rock touch the substrate. People use 2"-4" cut PVC pipe buried in sand so you can't see much if any of it and then they place the rock on top of it. They also drill holes in sides of pvc to allow substrate and any micro organisms to be able to move through the pipe. I already have my tank going but wish someone had mentioned this to me before I had fish in the tank...

It makes no difference for the cycling now so you could do the PVC before adding livestock. Read up on it as I only know enough to be dangerous but my understanding is that raising the rock up slightly above substrate allows water movement around the rock better so as not to create dead space in the tank. This is also true of where live rock touches live rock in the sense that you don't want the rock to be too close together, supportive but not suffocating (like most relationships lol).

Is the rock touching the glass on bottom or sitting on top of sand? You want it touching the glass bottom. That way if you get anything that digs, the rock wont fall and crush the fish.
Also, I would try to build the rock up a bit. You have a decent amount of rock, but it's all kinda on the bottom. I would try to make some different sized caves, maybe an overhang or bridge connecting rock on either side. Fish like places to hide. It'll take a little while to get something that's sturdy and has hiding holes. :)

Rock is firmly placed pushed the way down. I'll try rearranging. The 50lbs of live rock I picked up today had been in the guys 400 gallon tank for 10 Years. I picked it up from a guy who's business is setting up and care of fresh and saltwater tanks.

Back
Top Bottom