Diy sump.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scouser

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys! I'm looking on adding a sump to my 15gal tank.

I've seen a load of different plans online but they all seem rather complicated.

I'd like it to have space to add a skimmer at a later date but the basics will do for now.

What type of sump would you recommend i use?

That depends on what you are looking to so with it. In all reality, a bucket can be a sump. In terms of small tanks like yours, you can get away without a protein skimmer as long as you keep up with weekly water change to export nutrients.

That depends on what you are looking to so with it. In all reality, a bucket can be a sump. In terms of small tanks like yours, you can get away without a protein skimmer as long as you keep up with weekly water change to export nutrients.

Yea I do water changes every Friday.

I was thinking of using a sump to add more filtration into my system and possibly remove nitrates too?

A sump is actually really basic and simple though it can be a little overwhelming searching online. First thing to know is bigger is better, you have a 15 gallon tank so a 5-10 gallon would make a decent sump 10gallon being a better option. The second thing you need to know is you need to make sure your sump will fit where you want it this goes hand in hand with lesson one. Once you have the size sorted out you need to have an idea on skimmer size. Do some searching online for skimmers to fit your tank and build the sump with the dimensions they list in mind, make the skimmer section a little larger to make life easier. Now with that sorted you need 4 pieces of glass cut to fit front to back inside your sump tank. The height will be dependent again on your skimmer, the recommended water depth will tell you how high to make your dividers but keep in mind your not gonna want them all the way to the top as you want to be able to store excess water that will drain from the display tank in the event of a power failure. My baffles/dividers are approximately 2/3 the height of my sump tank. Now you just silicone the dividers in place, the first section where the skimmer goes and where your tank will drain into on needs on divider. Then the divider between the last 2 sections (if you want a refugium that is) is made of 3 panes. The 2 outside ones go right to the bottom and the one in the middle is raised an inch or so, this is known as a bubble trap. Hope this helps some, feel
Free to ask any questions we are here to help.

So I have a 40 gallon breeder for my sump. In chamber 1 I have a sock filter which feeds water from DT to skimmer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My divider for section one is 9.5" tall. I bought 5 pieces of glass, but am rethinking my plan.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430601557.940080.jpg
Here's with the sock filter. Any advantage as to what part of the sump uses the sock filter? I've seen some at the third section and some in the first.

I'm researching filter socks now. My brother in law has three in his first sump compartment but no directly on the end of any pipe work. He swears by it

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom