Diy sump question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm having a hard time on figuring out how tall to make my baffles. I have a 25g? Tank it's 24"x12x~20 also confused about how big to make my return compartment so it doesn't overflow my tank if something goes wrong. Any info you guys have on this would be great. Ive looked at other sumps and most have a fuge in them I'm doing a separate fuge so I don't need to worry about that. My sump will just be to house equipment. Should I run a sponge in it?

A sponge or filter sock or some kind of mechanical filtration is recommended IMO.

How tall the baffles are is completely up to you. A lot of people make them to fit their skimmers recommended water level which is usually around 10 inches. If you're not worried about that or will build a stand for your skimmer (or won't have a skimmer) then you can do anything you want.

Personally I would do about 16". That leaves 8 inches above the baffles and then it won't matter how big the return compartment is because that 8 inches will allow for plenty of overflow.

I am going to run a hob filter in my sump also. Forgot to mention that. So i can run the filter pads with carbon in them until i eventually get a reactor.

I was more worried about if the overflow stopped working for whatever reason. So the tank wouldn't overflow if all the water in the return got pumped into the tank....

I am running a skimmer, I could build a stand for it that's not a big deal.

Ah, okay. That has never happened to me but I did prepare it. You can adjust the water level in the return compartment to wherever you want it, so it doesn't matter how tall the baffles are.

You'll have to test it by filling the tank to where you want it and then breaking the overflow siphon and see if the pump overfills your tank and get it to where it doesn't overflow. Mark the water level line on the sump and that is your max fill line in the return compartment.

There will be a balance though because the splashing into the return compartment will make microbubbles.

You can buy pumps to keep your siphon always going, and i've never really heard of it failing. So if you want to skip worrying about that I think you would be okay. It is good to be cautious though.

You'll have to make your baffles really high for an hob filter to work wouldn't you?

Well it has a pretty long intake on it so I think it will be ok. We will see.

As for the micro bubbles I might add a sponge with a extra set f baffles before the return so the wter will come in under the last baffle if that makes sense to stop that.

Ya I have a CPR overflow and bought a aqua lifter to keep the air out. I'm sure it will be ok. Thanks for the replies!

Will do. Just picked up the aqua lifter and skimmer today. It's a Berlin. Pretty nice skimmer, got it for 50 bucks. It's used but in really good shape and clean. Just need a pump for it and I'm thinking my maxi jet 1200 will probably run it.

Back
Top Bottom