do anenome's poop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frogspawn

Aquarium Advice Freak
i see some stuff looking like poop coming out of my anemone's mouth. i feed him some brine shrimp yesterday and i was thinking that could be it.
his color is still bright and still very sticky so i would think hes still in very good health.

what does it look like and how long do they poo? hes been pooing for about 10-14 mins now lol

kinda making my water a little cloudy

Can you get pics of it . Usually poo is brown and stringy I have seen them poo for what seems to be a whole day ... You can turky baster it up ...But if it is clouding the water prep fo r a water change and also run some carbon aswell ...

yea its brown and stringy. and i thinking he might have stoped. but u never know he might feel the urge again to do some more later. hes leaving me a gift. lol ziggy is coming to pick him up tomarrow. i know he will have a good home there. i just hope we can get him out of the tank with ease.

Anemones can also release zooxanthellea which looks brown and stringy. Can you get a picture of it?

My guess is that if it's really long and stringy and dark brown, it was probably zooxanthellea and not waste.

Unicellular yellow-brown (dinoflagellate) algae which live symbiotically in the gastrodermis of reef-building corals.
Basically, they are tiny plants that photosynthasize light to help provide food and build their calcium carbonate skeletons.

ok so i imagin if they lose this stuff they die?

he stoped pooing so i am guessing it poo and not zooxanthellea.
i just did a water test and every things great. the ph is a little low. but my tanks not fully mature so thats a givin.
he will be ok till ziggy gets here right? what can i do to make shure he just as healthy. hes still very sticky i just gave him a little squirt of brine shrimp.

Sounds like zoox, the change in lighting will do that. That is why I recommended starting w/ 4 hours total. You are at 7 right? I think I saw that in your other post... Stop feeding also, that is more stressful than helpful at this point.

Frogspawn said:
ok so i imagin if they lose this stuff they die?

If they lose all of it yes. Generally when you see it coming out of the mouth it's a sign of either stress or overproducing it. My guess is stress, like MT said. It's not terribly bad, but it means that it's stressed out and you need to fix something.

it still seems very happy. i wont feed it again and my lights are on a 5hr time i bumped it back from 6 yesterday. i wanted to go back slowy to advoid shock to the other corals as well. it was bad enough that 1 day they had 10hrs of light and the next day when i placed him in only 7. that cant be good for the little dudes. so i tryed to do it slowy. its on a 5hr now and will stay there till ziggy picks it up.

I think Ziggy was runnning to a bunch of LFSs yesterday.

they had 10hrs of light and the next day when i placed him in only 7. that cant be good for the little dudes. so i tryed to do it slowy. its on a 5hr now
Cutting back on lighitng, temporarily, will not harm corals. It's generally a sudden increase in lighting, change in K(color), or both, they have trouble with. Reefs, at least some I'm aware of, do have a stormy season. So a day or two, maybe more, w/ out much sunlight is not anything new. Decreasing the photoperiod a few hours is no big deal. HTH

Yeah I was all over the place and didn't even read this thread...as it is I now have the anemone and he is in my tank..i have a LOT more lighting then Forgspawn does...I have the MH off on his side of the tank and wont turn it on until tomorrow and I'll only give him about 4 hours of light...He seems happy and is already coming off the rock he was on when I took him from Frogspawns tank and is burying his foot. nicely expanded and has good color. I will watch for him expelling any more Zoox as I'm sure that is what it was. This is a far amount of stress on him being moved like this but I think he will come through it with flying colors! BTW...I've named him Sticky....because that is what he did to my hand...LOL As soon as I download and crop the pics I took of him I will post them in a new thread......

With all the changes lately, I would recommend going one step farther w/ light acclimation at this point, especially since you have more lighting. In addition to a shortened photoperiod, adding a layer or two of screening on the top of the tank will reduce shock/stress. It allows new additions to more slowly adapt to more lighting, or even just changes in K. Remove a layer after 5-8 days, depending on the anemones behavior. This is what I do for all my new SPS additions, and IME it is MUCH less stressful. Being in three different tanks under three different lighting set ups on such short order is going to be stressful. Best to be safe than sorry. HTH

I agree...and infact I dug out the screen after I posted that message to do exactly that..This is one georgous anemone and I want him to thrive!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom