Do I need a sump in a 40 gallon tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harrytownend

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am converting my 40 gallon freshwater tank to saltwater and would like a reef. I'm going to have 40lb of live rock and live sand. Do I need a sump or could I use a HOB filter or canister filter? Also, do I need a skimmer in a 40 gallon?

I'd say yes you need a skimmer but you don't necessarily need a sump however I would highly recommend one if you can use one

Hydor slim skim. It doesn't hang on the back so no leaks to worry about. Only cost is it goes inside the tank. Thats they way id go if i didn't make a sump. Much less to worry about and fairly priced at ~$110. Quiet and good skimmer from what I've heard. I'll be starting up a nano reef with a 40B and that is the skimmer I'm going to use.

To answer the original question though, No you don't need a sump. Just a couple powerheads, a heater, lights and a good skimmer. No need for a HOB filter if you use a skimmer. Shoot for a 15X turnover on water in your tank for fish only and 25-30x for reef. So total Powerhead GPH FOWLR-400-600 GPH and 1000-1200GPH for reef.

Would the Hydor slim skim nano be OK for my tank or would I need the Hydor slim skim for up to 60 gallons?

For the price difference I wouldn't put the nano on it and risk it . It's always best to go slightly over rather than push the limits of your equipment. Drsfostersmith.com has it for $104.99.

Can all protein skimmers that are not HOB be kept in the display tank or is it just the Hydor slim skim?

For the price difference I wouldn't put the nano on it and risk it . It's always best to go slightly over rather than push the limits of your equipment. Drsfostersmith.com has it for $104.99.

Not that I have seen. Most only use about 7-9" of water so it would stick way out. The hydor is the only one I know of made to run in the DT

Back
Top Bottom