Do I really need a skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gkleyer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55gal SW tank with a Eshopps Wdcs 75 wet/dry Filter and a regular filter for additional filtration. Do I still need a protein skimmer and if so, what type are the best for a tank which will have some coral and fish. I just put new live rock in the tank and allowing it to cycle for while before adding fish.

NO ,you do not NEED a skimmer...You will need something though..
I have never used/owned a skimmer ,been nearly 8 years ..
I only use an algae scrubber ..My system is fish only ,but scrubbers also do wonderfully on reefs

I was actually wondering the same thing. The skimmer I have said it was a HoB but was not.... So far as a fish only system it seems to be working but I have a spare 10 gallon tank I was thinking of making a sump from.... anyone have any good ways to make the overflow though?

I have a 55g and just purchased the reef octopus bh 2000 from BRS and will be getting it from ups tomorrow I'll let you know how well it works :) from the videos I've seen they work great. A protein skimmer is a great purchase for your water quality.

Back
Top Bottom