Do You Really Need This?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KonvictKeeper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I'm thinking about starting a SW tank after a recent visit to a SW only fish store. I don't want to do anything big. Just maybe a 10g. I might do a larger tank (55g), because I really love lionfish :p
But my question is, do I need a surface skimmer?

no. it's just another filtration device. you can choose whatever filtration you like. i wouldn't keep lionfish in a 55. i would go with a 75 at least. even the dwarf variation get 5".

there are a decent variety of fish that would work in a 20. here are a few choices:
Nano Fish
as far as predators are concerned, you could do anglers, stonefish, and scorpionfish.

a 20 gallon would work. i don't mean all of them at once, i mean there are three choices. if i was going to choose one of them, i would make the tank his.

you could do more than one i imagine, providing they are about the same size. i would hate to find only one after paying the price for them.

need? i don't know if they need it, but what would you have in the tank to house bacteria and make it look nice? sponge bob ornaments? lol.
use base rock and let it become live on it's own. it will help with filtration, and keeping a predator, you'll want as much filtration as you can get.

www.liveaquaria.com

It's a great researching tool that will let you know the size of tank you need for the fish you'd like to get. Take a look at their notes as well as the comments lefts by other folks.

I wouldn't put an angler in a 14g cube. The dimensions are kinda kooky with a cube and it always seems smaller than it is. lol

If you want one in a 20g or better yet a 29g then that'd be cool. But from what I've just read I would think only one. :)

Sounds good. Should I do a reef? Bad idea for a first timer? I'm thinking just FOWLR. I just checked out a different semi-localFS. They have an extremely crazy sale on wartskins. $25 each! They're actually a little less than an 1" though. Really thinking about this SW thing... Seems just as easy as FW...

Back
Top Bottom