Does anyone know if Quickrete's Play Sand is o.k. to use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kidafius

Aquarium Advice Freak
I called the company and spoke to a representative. He told me that it is all collected from various oceanic sources, I'm assuming Gulf coast and Atlantic, since they are in Atlanta. But its pre-sifted, washed, and scrubbed. Any thoughts?

I have been doing some online research on the subject. There seems to be two major kinds of play sand out there--silica, or quartz based, and argonite. The argonite seems to be marketed as Caribbean play sand or tropical play sand, while the quartz seems to be marketed as play sand. The quikrete play sand is quartz based, or silica sand. The kind you want is the argonite sand.

If that is all you can find, it will work just fine. It is silica based, which will not give some of the buffering help as aragonite, but it will still perform just the same for biofiltration.

I know this post is old but I am searching for info also and have looked at quikrete play sand that is available in my area. If the Quikrete rep said that it was collected from oceanic sources then how can it be silica based? Am I missing something?

Well sand from "oceanic sources" doesn't necessarily mean from coral reefs. Argonite sand is essentially crushed crushed coral, or calcium carbonate. Silica sand is simply crushed quartz rock. Both can be from the ocean.

Be careful with play sands. Most of the so called "Silica Based" play sands are full of impurities including feldspar.

The best sand IMO is oolitic sand. This sand is not crushed coral, it precipitates from areas that are shallow and hot like the Carribean. Similar to hail but made from Calcium carbonate. The grains are round so they are not damaging to small animals in the sand bed.

I am thinking about switching out 1/4-1/2 of my large c.c. base with sand (so that it can be done slowly over a few months I have a mandarin) and I was wondering where bang guy found oolitic sand and the cost?

Purearagonite.com sells it for about $15 a bag plus shipping.

I found mine at Home Depot under the brand name 'Southdown' for $6 a bag.

Southdown is now Old Castle. It may also be marketed under the Yardright brand. The Yardright web site has contact form to find a local dealer.
Home Depot pretty much limits Southdown to East coast stores although store transfers for a pallet (200 bags?) or more have happened.

I looked at it today at lowes and it say's on the back of the bag "sicila sand". I guess you can use it but it won't help to buffer your PH. I'm using some mixed with some "reef sand". :D

Back
Top Bottom