Does carbon have any +/- effects on cycling a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mann2021

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
25G AIO tank.......6 weeks into cycling....

Hi,
Does running activated carbon in chamber 1 rear sump have positive or negative effects on starting a new aquarium?

I put the carbon pack that came with the tank and the pack of GFO that came with the tank in it on startup.........did I F it up?

I took the GFO out the other day after reading it may be bad for a startup.......

I got new activated carbon but wondering now should I replace it? take the old out?

When cycling a new system, I don't run any media. The only thing I am interested in is the nitrate cycle.
Just take the carbon and GFO out. The carbon won't harm anything, as it removes toxins, but the GFO would pull out phosphates. Also shouldn't matter as once your cycle is complete you'll be doing large water changes to pull those nutrients out of the water column before you add your first fish. Save it for livestock and if you need to use it.

I agree with Hank. The only thing you will notice is a longer cycle. Good luck on the cycle .

Back
Top Bottom