Does everyone run activated carbon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Neither have I. Never seen a need, especially with the UV.
I run a PO4 sponge once a month and keep a poyfilter in all the time, but thats about it.

I run it occasionally since I have not gotten the uv yet. I don't run it constantly though. It does keep the water polished up though.

I recently started a sump with caulerpa and have starrted to us it because I was seeing some yellowing of the water. Not on a regular basis though. They say it has a pretty short life span and then it's just un-activated nitrate trap!

I have the chemi-pure in the 20g tank but only because there is no skimmer on that tank.

I run AC pretty much 24/7. I have a mixture of corals (soft,lps and sps) so it helps with any warfare that might be happening.

ellisz said:
I run AC pretty much 24/7. I have a mixture of corals (soft,lps and sps) so it helps with any warfare that might be happening.
Warfare?

Chemical warfare. Corals fend off other corals with chemicals that inhibit each other. That is actually the reason that I asked the question. My Xenia isn't looking so good of late, yet I'm confident that my water conditions are better than they've ever been.

So I started thinking about chemical warfare and AC.

Well then maybe I should start running it all the time. I have several different varieties also. I do regular water changes so I don't have to worry about stripping out my trace elements.

I have some big leathers and I was told they are bad about releasing chemicals. I have not noticed any effects on my hard corals but I run carbon for that reason.

The problem with AC is it is relatively short lived. I've heard anything from 2-5 days is it's maximum effective life.

I use it to polish my water.

Its been my experinence that sometimes, just an odd observation based on my 2 tanks, that xenia can get a little wierd looking if there is a severe lack of phos. Remember, animals do use it, you just don't need 5PPM worth of it. Sometimes perfect params can be, well, a little too perfect. I used a RowaPhos on my big tank and ever since the xenia just haven't been the same. At any rate the ac shouldn't hurt anything less you don't change it when you shoud..

GL

Side note on the active life I posted about:

I did a test. I ran the AC in my main tank for about two weeks, took it out, rinsed it, and put it in my 10 gal tank. The 10 gal tank (which was slightly yellow tinted from no AC) was cleared in a few hours.

I'm starting to think the active life of AC is longer than what I've read.

Back
Top Bottom