Does Petsmart sell saltwater fish/coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brennan32

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently acquired a Petsmart gift card for my birthday...yeah i know i hate petsmart too! But i don't need any filters,heaters, etc so i am wondering if maybe they sell saltwater fish/corals so i could pick up a coral or two? Anyone that could help would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Doesn't look like it on their website. Could always call over to your nearest and see if they have anything worthwhile.

Don't think so. Petco does

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok thanks guys for the input i will call them before i go then

Not that I'm aware of. Even if they did I would be hesitant because of the way freshwater fish are treated already.

Caleb

Not that I'm aware of. Even if they did I would be hesitant because of the way freshwater fish are treated already.

Caleb

I don't like going there because of this reason but i don't just want to let a gift card go to waste

I don't like going there because of this reason but i don't just want to let a gift card go to waste

Use it for something like extras then, more water conditioner, backup filter? Extra heater etc.

Caleb

the only things they sell is live sand and instant ocean salt mix everything else is fresh water ,

I wouldn't by anything from there why don't you wrap it up and give it back on their birthday.. just jk but seriously maybe get a new algae scrubber or put it towards something else.. but i would never EVER by stock from there again i had bought 2 fish from there and they both died in 2 weeks or less and caused an outbreak of disease in my tanks the staff lecture you on tank size and water parameters but by god hit them with a question and watch their face drop.. why not buy a rat or something ;) rats are cute

Sent from my SM-G900F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Geez you guys are tough. My local pet smart does not have saltwater but do a great job on their FW fish, their tanks are pristine and they run multiple qt tanks in the back unlike my local Petco who do not qt.

Geez you guys are tough. My local pet smart does not have saltwater but do a great job on their FW fish, their tanks are pristine and they run multiple qt tanks in the back unlike my local Petco who do not qt.

It really depends on location.

Here in eastern TN, it's the exact opposite. Petco has the nice tanks and healthy fish here.

Caleb

Lol i know i just hear of a lot of complaints there. Tbh there are 3 petsmart stores near me and one my friend has been to (which i haven't) he has had pretty much stocked his entire tank from there against my (harsh) advice and his FW tank is beautiful and the fish are all healthy.. just one store near me the fish guy in there is an jerk and his tanks are grubby and badly kept with dying or dead fish just about keeping upright.. the other one is where i had 2 fish that pretty much wiped out my first tank way back when.. i guess just use your best judgement and don't impulse buy even if you do feel sorry for the 13" "common" pleco in a foot long tank

It really depends on location.

Here in eastern TN, it's the exact opposite. Petco has the nice tanks and healthy fish here.

Caleb

Well to be more specific, my local Petco is actually pretty decent despite no qt tanks. The manager who I know well is a big SW guy and the SW stuff gets more attention than the fw. Its still pretty good. My local pet smart is scrupulous about not selling sick fish so I actually have it pretty good.

Maybe ill put it towards a light. Been wanting to turn my 55 gallon into a planted tank for some time now. Does anyone know if they sell and good plant lights?

No sadly Petsmart as a whole doesn't carry salt water livestock, they do however carry select maintenance and equipment for salt water tanks.

Maybe ill put it towards a light. Been wanting to turn my 55 gallon into a planted tank for some time now. Does anyone know if they sell and good plant lights?

Nope there lights usually suck aswell lol usually sell cheap rubbish at high prices they are there to catch the parent of young kids

Nope there lights usually suck aswell lol usually sell cheap rubbish at high prices they are there to catch the parent of young kids

This. Amazon and EBay have been my go-to.

Well i guess i will just buy some aquarium salt or a api test kit.

Sorry to be so negative lol might be able to get some decorative lights for a nano reef or something but nothin that will be much use

Back
Top Bottom