Does this growth on my rock look healthy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

csoutherland

Aquarium Advice Activist
Started my 75 gallon reef tank 5 days ago. Just noticed this brown/orange/gold looking color growing on my rocks. Is this healthy or no?
The green was already there by the way.

Attachments

• image-1297804008.jpg
    image-1297804008.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 133
  • image-2345676870.jpg
    image-2345676870.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 137
  • image-140579448.jpg
    image-140579448.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 116
Probz just diatoms which is normal and will go in time

Its normal its diatom I experianced the same when I started mine. I used fiji live rock at first then put what they call real rock at the aquarium shop its purple live rock next to fiji that had turn brown and the brown fiji rock began to turn purple. If your going to make it a reef tank then it will be cover'd by coral anyhow. Good luck with the new tank. So much to learn. Its a never ending journey.

Those are brown diatoms which are a form of algea. They feed on phosphates & silacates. Sand espessially when it's new is loaded with silacates & that's the reason for them. Eventually they'll run out of food & die off. If you can't wait though, I would recomend using any bacterial suplement for this. The one I use for algea is dr. tim's refresh. The bacteria will outcompete the algea for food & thus living it hungry & then dead. I would just wait though... no use in spending money.

I agree with patrick seastar. I had the same problem. I now it looks ugly but it will eventually die off. Before you know it you'll start to see green algea. In the mean time I would continue to learn more about what ever fish or coral and what direction you wana headin with your tank. Educate yourself on what ever fish or coral you want prior to purchase.

Back
Top Bottom