does this mean i have to start the cycle over?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dunnman39

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently started a 55 gal sw tank and i had a filter up and running for two months but recently switched filters...does this mean i have to start the cycle over? The tank is currently stocked with a shrimp, snails, crabs, and a blue damsel.

Not necessarily. Your live rock should be providing the bio-filtration/denitrification.
What was the old filter and what is the new filter?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What was the old filter and what is the new filter?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm assuming either hob or canister

as long as you have a good amount of live rock you should be ok, as you said it is up and running 2 months , your rock should have enough bb to support the stock you have , just don't add any new stock till your new filter has a chance to build bb , your tank is lightly stocked snail and hermits you have and damsel will be just fine ,
once you get everything stable I would suggest to get rid of the damsel they are just little demons , they cause more trouble than they are worth , I lost many a fish because of damsels,

Thanks for the speedy reply. My old filter was a cascade canister filter and I switched to a fluval canister filter

i would remove the canister filter. i had one and it was noting but problems. it needs to be cleaned often. had algae problems removed the filter and algae disappeared slowly. your live rock will do the filtering and your clean up crew will help with the detritus

the canister will be ok as long as you maintain it weekly

as long as you have circulation pumps circulating the water in the tank your rock will act as your filter , but I do still recommend some type of filtering unless you intend to do water changes quite frequently

Back
Top Bottom